1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Help please! Denon 500SD

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by RPC, Jan 3, 2005.

1. RPC

RPC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, im new to this, so all help much appreciated.

At present I have a Philips 28PW9616 TV to which I am 95% certain of adding the Denon DHT500SD

Couple of questions.
    1. Whats the difference/benefit of going the 550SD?
    2. Aside from connecting a Sky+ box, I have burned hundreds of CD's to MP3 which are on my PC which is in the office upstairs. Ideally I would like to access the MP3's directly from the PC to play through the Denon. Is this possible, and how would it connect.
    3. Im also in the market for an MP3 player. Is it possible to connect this to the Denon.

All help Vmuch appreciated.

2. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I think the main benefit of getting the 550 is it has separate components thereby making it easier to upgrade. It does have an active sub woofer which is better. However, on a review I read it said the 500 still beat it in terms of value for money and the extra money for the 550 could not be justified.

The Denon just has standard inputs - rca, optical, coaxial so if your computer had one of these outputs you could connect. Another option is just to use the headphone output on the computer, buy a little y shaped audio adapter plug one end in the headphone output, attach phono leads here and then on the Denon. I don't know how this would affect the sound quality.

I have a Creative Zen jukebox which I can connect to the Denon, via a y shaped adapter in the headphone socket then phono leads to the Denon. Sounds fine to me.

Maplins sell these little adapters for a couple of pounds.