1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie help pio or phil...so confused

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by elnr_uk, Dec 29, 2004.

1. elnr_uk

elnr_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    help please.....been reading through the forum now for a few days.....and have helped me .....but i have now narrowed it down to two....pioneer 435fde or philips p9966....i want hd compatiblity but want to ensure i have all the frequencies covered unlike the hitachi 5200.

i like the fact that the pioneer has a media box so i can connect all my units to it...can anyone tell me if it has one cale that goes to the screen from the media box.

the philips has 1024*1024 res which i feel will be beneficial to me in the future..........
    not sure but i think one has dvi connection and one has hdmi........whats the difference ?

recommendations and reasoning behind it please

cheers
    Ed

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Think you'll find the Philips has little or no HD compatibility, and will in any case be comprehensively trashed by the Pio in just about every area.

3. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi elnr UK,

I am just going to have to disagree with ANYTHING MAW has to say about the said Philips. I've had one for a week now and I am totally chuffed, as are other members of this forum who have it. Honestly, I dont what the beef is with the Philips on this forum, but don't listen to them. Go and see for yourself and judge. I can stand two feet from the screen with an ordinary feed coming from Sky, and you can hardly see any pixilisation, banding ect (in fact one reviewer from a magazine said the PQ was so good, they thought Sky had started an early broadcast of HD TV!!!! :thumbsup: )With a DVD these old gremlins associated with plasmas do not exist. Period!!! :D :rotfl:

This is my third plasma, the first was also a Philips (no problems at all, very reliable etc), my second was a beloved 'Panny' that everybody raves about on this forum and my third is the current Philips you mentioned. Of all of them, the Philips is by far my favourite and the choice was made when I had the choice to pick from most 42" model on the market. For me the Philips did it, and I guess if you let your eyes do the decision making and you avoid the herd mentality (ie "it must be a panny, it must be a panny - because that's what everybody says"), you will find a big suprise waiting for you.

On the question of HD compatibility, I dont know. The set has a DVI-I connection which according to the Philips website is HDMI/HDCP compatible. From what I can gather a HD set also needs to be able to accept 720p and 1080i signals at >50hz. If it can do the latter, we may have a system that is Sky 'ready' and is also capable of use with the current equipement that uses this technology. Perhaps somebody can answer this question :lease:

So in short, be a man. Have a look at the Philips for yourself and don't be afraid to break from the herd. But whatever you choose, good luck.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I already have answered the Q, it's a Hitachi based screen and cannot.

5. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Maw,

Thanks for the speedy reply. Just a question though, what is the point of the DVD-I connection? Is it good for anything?

6. elnr_uk

elnr_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for you comments . i want to ensure my screen is capable of dealing with the majority of the next 4-5yrs has to offer......in terms of hdtv and frequencies .....the pioneer is in the lead at present !

cheers guys....anybody else care to comment ?

7. klythawk

klythawk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    My first post in this forum and certainly not an expert on plasmas, i prefer
    to let my eyes be the judge. Having just wondered round the local
    electrical store, i was amazed how good the picture on the Philips 37PF9946
    was alongside a Panasonic, sorry don't know which model it was, but what i saw, the Philips won easily, and was a lot cheaper.

8. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree
    Philips with pixel plus 2 have an amazing picture qyality and i can t understand why they are so disregarded in here.

But off course pioneers are much more qualitative products.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    All I can say is you are looking in the wrong places. Not only are Panasonic a lot cheaper to buy wholesale, but are in my experience easier to produce a decent picture with. If you go to a place that sells fridges and microwaves, and distibutes RF for TVs around the shop, then the one with the best signal will look best.

10. madasahat

madasahat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think the hitachi 5200 is the best went and compaired modles and i think the pq was alot better than the panny and a bit better than the phillips plus the screen lookes brill :hiya:

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You might think so, mate but it's not on his list. Also, it has, like the Philips, very very limited HD compatibility.

12. elnr_uk

elnr_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thnks people !....i'm gonna go for the pioneer ........maw you have pm