newbie help picking xbox360 package

unique

i'm a sucker for spending money on gadgets, but not much of a gamer. about 10 years ago i was hooked on tomb raider on the ps1, but these days spend more time on the internet and watching movies, but i got my first xbox from argos before xmas, got the xbmc running, which impressed me so much i got a second xbox for the other room. i also picked up a fair few games as they were going for under £5 brand new

anyways, i'm now tempted to get the 360 as the price has dropped a bit, and there are a few bundles around £300 with games etc, thing is i can't make up my mind which to get and where from. it looks like a bundle deal works out cheaper than buying the basic kit. i see i can get the core pack for £150 from play, but by the time you buy games or get the extras it doesn't seem such good value after all. as i'll be playing on a 50" plasma, the wireless controls will save cables running everywhere. as my hdmi and component sockets are full, i think i'll also run via VGA cable so i can use the pc input

the 2 main packages seem to be those on gamestation, personally the £305 bundle looks best as you get the extra wireless controller and PGR which i fancy as i like racing games, instead of GRAW2. but both packages have crackdown and gears of war. the £305 bundle also has a wrestling game, so seems better value. i just don't know if the stores will have stock

i'll be playing myself most of the time, so the spare wireless controller isn't essential, it just looks better VFM. i don't know how the things charge, but i guess i can swap them about so one charges whilst i use the other, so that might be handy. i'll prolly get the vga cable from CEX. i presume the premium pack gives you eveything you need to get playing HD and 5.1, you just plug in the cable and an optical cable and thats it. i've never played on one or seen one close up before

i'm also thinking of going down the 360 path so i can get the HDdvd drive and finally get some HD movies. it seems a better option than the ps3 as for the money you get some games, and it's been about a bit longer for more games to come out and a reasonable amount of second hand games and stuff floating about. spending £400 on the ps3 would only give me 1 game if i'm lucky, and i didn't have a ps2 so no old games to play

any suggestions/bargains or general newbie advise is appreciated before i splash out £300 and then will feel compelled to spend the £120 on the hddvd drive. cheers!

richpont

Wow, seems like you've done your homework to me! :smashin:
Can't see any real problems with what you've said other than the controllers are not rechargable out of the box. You either need the M$ rechargable battery pack, standard AA rechargable batteries, or a few spare non-rechargeable batteries. Having said that, battery life is very good.

I would go for the package that you prefer in terms of games and enjoy the gaming! Like you said, you can see how you feel later about HD-DVD. :thumbsup:

unique

Wow, seems like you've done your homework to me! :smashin:
Can't see any real problems with what you've said other than the controllers are not rechargable out of the box. You either need the M$ rechargable battery pack, standard AA rechargable batteries, or a few spare non-rechargeable batteries. Having said that, battery life is very good.

I would go for the package that you prefer in terms of games and enjoy the gaming! Like you said, you can see how you feel later about HD-DVD. :thumbsup:

ok cheers, i didn't realise it used normal batteries. i usually get em cheap from svp for my wireless keyboards and mice

let's hope they still have the pack in stock when i get to the store, as the £305 package seems much better VFM than the £300 one, a controller and 2 games, albeit one isn't maybe that great, as opposed to one game worth £40, altho a supposedly good one

hopefully someone will get a xbmc type package working on it soon, one that will handle HD stuff

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom