1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie help - Panasonic / Loewe 32" LCD ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by gilesme, Sep 19, 2005.

1. gilesme

gilesme
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I signed up for a lxd500 from John Lewis - £1795, but included 5 year warranty and "free" dvd recorder.

Now the lxd52 has been released, tempted to go for this.

Only differences seem to be - no SD card slot, No pcmcia slot, speakers not as good.

But £400 cheaper.....

I was also considering the Loewe Xelos for £1850.

As you can probably tell, new to all this.

Any experts care to enlighten me ?

Warranty seems pretty key in the decision making process.

2. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +268
    yep if you dont need the card reader or pcmcia slot id go for the lxd52 seems the only difference according to the panasonic compare page.

3. PirateWolf

PirateWolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are multiple picture options (eg picture-in-picture, picture-and-picture etc) on the 500 which the 52 doesn't have (52 only has picture-and-text).
    The sound on the 500 system comes from speakers down the sides of the screen (and uses a different speaker soundsystem with tweeters apparantly to give better sound quality/realism), compared to the speakers being underneath the screen on the 52. This also makes the 500 approx 6cm wider, but 1cm lower (ie overall the 52 would fit in a narrower space).

Apart from the additions of the cardreader and pm cia slots on the 500, the other connectivity specs seem identical.

Personally, I thought I'd finally made my mind up on getting the 500 before, mainly because the 50 doesn't have HDMI. Now they've released this 52 model though, I've gonna have to have a rethink... not sure I have much need for those extra slots and although the picture options would be nice, it'd probably just be a novelty that'll wear off. Dunno if I can justify spending an extra £300 to for those additions which I'll probably never use anyway.

4. gilesme

gilesme
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers,

Piratewolf - agreed, I have a Loewe Aconda with PIP etc. Rarely gets used.

Hence I was wondering about the Xelos - I do like Loewe gear !

5. vallii

vallii
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also no 15-pin Dsub 'VGA' connector on the 52.

6. simonio

simonio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The pc input is useful for me on my panny 500 but the pip etc is a complete novelty thats already worn off, and ive only had it for a week!
    The sd card reader and pc card slot will never get used on mine either. Not sure of the exact price difference but you need to weigh up the spec differences and decide which model suits your needs.