newbie help needed

CSK

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello

Im thinking of buying either a HS2 or E60, but currently I have analogue cable (no laughing please). :laugh:
I understand that the HS2 has a built in tuner or something? Will this work with analogue cable? If yes, how will I have to connect and configure it?

Much help needed :rolleyes:

Thanks

Andy

Will this work with analogue cable?
My experience with analogue cable is virtually nil - I had it installed years ago before I switched to analogue Sky (!) - but from memory it only had an RF connection to the TV/VCR. Is that still the case?

Whatever you could connect it to a HS2, E60 or similar as they all have analogue tuners (same as for any VCR). You can loop the RF signal through just like if it was a VCR. The only 'problem' is that your not going to be pushing your DVD recorder to it's maximum ability. Recording RGB and S-Video signals is where DVDRs excell.

Thanks for the reply, yes it appears still to only have RF, which I guess means I may as well connect my cable direct to the TV and then connect either the HS2 or E60 by scart to the TV so I can play DVD's or record straight from the TV?

Looks like I need to get sky/cable digital!

CSK - if I were you I would still connect the cable RF wire into the HS2 first and then the TV. You won't get any benefit from sending it to the TV and the feeding it down a Scart to the HS2. You can also connect the HS2 AV1 scart socket to the TV. This will enable you to watch the HS2 via scart.

okay, thats cool.

How can I connect a VCR so I can transfer my VHS tapes to DVD?

and do I then transfer the VHS tape to Hard disk and Hard disk to DVD?

Thanks for all your help, its much appreciated. :smashin:

How can I connect a VCR so I can transfer my VHS tapes to DVD?
Connect it to AV2 on the HS2.

and do I then transfer the VHS tape to Hard disk and Hard disk to DVD?
I suggest you record everything to the HDD in XP mode. You can then edit ("Partial Erase") and dub to DVD-R using "Flexible Record" (FR) which will ensure the best possible quality setting.

Rasczak

I have setup my system as you recommended, and its working a treat.

The only thing I have noticed is that there is a lip sync problem between the audio and video, when watching cable, playing DVD's is ok.

Do you have any ideas how I can clear this up?

Ive tried connecting the RF cable direct into the TV and the problem dissappears. So it must be something to do with passing thru the HS2.

Thanks

Andy

The only thing I have noticed is that there is a lip sync problem between the audio and video
The same problem has been reported by one or two other people. To the best of my knowledge it indicates a faulty machine (but apparently it's a quick 10 minute fix at any Panasonic shop). However I would stress that you do several recordings because a remarkable number of broadcasts shows are broadcast out of sync.

However before we totally dismiss the machine as faulty lets just run through the basics:

Firstly can you check your sound set-ups are set to 'standard' settings. Goto Functions/Setup/Sound menu and check:

'Sound During Speech' option should be ON.
'Dynamic Range Compression' should be OFF.
'Billingual Audio Selection' should be set to M1.
'DVD-RAM Dubbing Audio' should be set to M1 & M2.
'Audio Mode For DV Input' should be STEREO 1
'Audio Mode For XP' should be set to DOLBY DIGITAL

In the "Digital Audio Output" the settings should be:

'PCM Down Conversion' should be set to NO.
'Dolby Digital' should be set to 'Bitstream'.
'DTS' should be set to OFF.
'MPEG' should be set to PCM.

Are you using Digital Audio Out BTW? If so what receiver/amp are you using? What TV/Screen do have?

Once you've checked all the settings I state above can you do a test recording in excess of 1 hour (i.e. not XP mode) and tell me whether you still have audio displacement and which way it is, i.e. is it ahead of the picture or behind it?

Are you using Digital Audio Out BTW? If so what receiver/amp are you using?

No im just using the Scart connection for both video and sound.

What TV/Screen do have?

Im using a color portable Toshiba 1450TB

Once you've checked all the settings I state above can you do a test recording in excess of 1 hour (i.e. not XP mode) and tell me whether you still have audio displacement and which way it is, i.e. is it ahead of the picture or behind it?

I checked the settings and they were all correct.

When viewing the channel the sound comes before the video, however when watching the same footage after recording it the sound and video were in sync, which was quite strange, I tried this on a number of different channels all with the same result.

I have noticed when copying from Sky+ to HS2 HDD that there is a lip synch problem.However,when its transferred to DVD from the HDD after editing ,or viewed on the HDD after transferall is corrected.

Guys - it does sound as if you need to get your HS2's adjusted. A Panasonic shop (there is one in most cities) should be able to do this for you to save you sending it back to the retailers you purchased from.

This is a well known problem and all units do it to some extent. It is because the processing of the video and the sound can take different times depending on the complexity of the scene. All that really matters is that the resulting recording is ok.

Simple solution is not to watch programs live, but use the time slip facility, which lets you get up to only 7 seconds behind the live broadcast with the sound in sync.

I do all my editing after completing the recording to the hdd, and don't attempt to do it on the fly, hence have no need to watch the "live" transmission.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom