1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie - Help needed choosing video capture card

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Vladman, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Vladman

Vladman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hello all,

I have been browsing and searching through all the posts here, and on some other boards, and although I came across threads discussing capture cards, I wasn't able to extract any definite conclusions...

Basically, I'm after a video capture card that I will use to transfer some material from my old VHS tapes primarily, and ideally, would like to be able to use it to record stuff from the NTL box too, but that's not my foremost requirement.

I have seen a Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP Expert for about £40 on overclockers.co.uk, and also some WinTV Hauppauge cards (Go) for about the same price... And there's a MSI TV Anywhere Master card there. I wasn't able to find much more in that price range, and I'm reluctant to spend much more for something I will most likely not use very much, after transferring my VHS stuff onto my PC.

Do I need to think about DScaler?

Oh, I guess I should mention my PC configuration:

Athlon XP 2000+
    512Mb RAM (2100)
    Soltek SL-75DRV-2
    Nvidia Geforce 2Ti

I'd appreciate it very much if someone could give me some advice and express their opinions, based on previous experiences.

Thanks,

Vlad.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Packard Bell PB-TV100 (£29.99 from PC World) is recommended on a budget.

Provides composite & s-video capture.

:smoke:

3. juls

juls
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what about xcaptere card

4. Vladman

Vladman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Kramer.

I ended up buying Leadtek WinFast TV2000 XP Expert card, from Overclockers, for £42.

I originally went to my local PC World, but they didn't have any PB cards. I found one post on this board by someone using the Winfast card, and they said they thought it was good. It's also supported by the latest (beta) version of Dscaler.

It also comes with a remote, and the PB-TV100 doesn't. Or does it?? Also, the Winfast card has 10bit processing and the PB card's is 8bit. Not pretending I understand all of this, but 10bit sounds better than 8bit. :D

Haven't had a chance to install it yet, but I'll report on my findings, if anyone's interested.

V.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    I think the PB TV100 is 9 bit which gives minial difference compared with 10 bit.
    Still prefer the Xcapture though which is also 10bit I believe.

6. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the WinTV2000 Deluxe card, works pucker m8 so good choice!