1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie help - Just bought a ET1

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by phunkey_monkeh, Aug 1, 2005.

1. phunkey_monkeh

phunkey_monkeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, Hi :)

Ive just bought a 3 month old ET1 for the pricely sum of £300 which i thought was a bargain.
    Now granted, its an entry level projector. So im not expecting super results. But I am working on a budget.
    Now , my questions.
    I need the following and would like suggestions.
    Its going in my bedroom with a throw distance of approximately 2.5m.
    I have no equipment. Whilst i have 42" tv, dvd player, amp, speakers etc downstairs. I dont have this equipment upstairs. So im starting from scratch.

1. What screen size would you recommend, and also what make/model screen. Ideally i would like a electric (if possible, remote controlled) screen

2. Can you recommend a decent, but also cheap DVD player. cdr/dvdr compatible, and also region free. With decent outputs.

3. Any cheap surround sound system setups. Its not a big bedroom, and im not looking to shake the floor.

4. Cable recommendations.

Whilst i may be working on a budget, im not one to buy the cheapest thing possible and knowingly sacrifice quality, however im not one to spend £££'s on top of the range gear either.

As you can see, im a complete begineer,so bare with me. And i also need a mount for the projector.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nicky

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    1. The ET1 is a good PJ but one of it's foibles is that I beliebe it hasn't got optical zoom, hence getting the right size screen may be more of an issue for this model. Best bet is to set it up where you want it and see what size image you get. An electric screen may set you back more than the PJ btw.

2. Loads of decent DVD players around for not much money. People are raving over a £50ish Philips, or there's the Limit players from Play, Richer sounds has a good choice. You need one with component outputs, which most have. Have a look on the DVD players forum.

3. Can't help much there, agan the likes of Richer sounds have a selection. Again there's a separate forum for advice.

4. Component will be best for the ET1 I think.

...PJ :)

3. phunkey_monkeh

phunkey_monkeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input PJTX100.

Since posting, ive been considering getting a manual pull down screen, and also a basic HCPC instead of a stand alone dvd player.

This could then be networked to my regular pc, and allow me to do alot more (i realise there is a seperate forum for this :) )

I think i will take your advice, wait for the PJ to arrive and get it poistioned. And then decide on a screen size.

4. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the ET1, and PJ is correct - there is no optical zoom (there is a digital one but it should be avoided, it works by resizing the image so only the centre of the lcd panel is used), you can download an info sheet from toshiba to get a basic idea of screen sizes - http://www.pvp.toshiba.co.uk/consumer/projectors/products.nsf/files/et1/$file/et1-B.pdf?openelement

The full manual is also available here: http://tesc.toshiba.co.uk - select Customer Access then in model go for Data Projector / LCD / TLPET1 and if I remember correctly it has the equation for calculating screen size.

I use mine with a 60inch Epson manual screen and sit about 2 metres from it, this came from ebay for about 60 quid.

For DVD player I have a Pioneer 575 connected via component and using progressive scan, this came from Richer Sounds for 100 quid (multi regioned - pio players can't be easily mr'd as they need special codes not on the normal remote), it's handled all my dvd-r media fine.

My component cables were from cable universe (a forum sponsor) and were about 12 quid.

I don't have surround sound yet (just stero) so can't advise on that.

Component with prog scan gave me a noticable improvement in picture quality compared to scart.

The ET1 also has a VGA connector so if you go for a HTPC that is the connection to use (I had a bit of a play with mine and a pc but went for a DVD player instead, I'm now thinking about a mac mini for htpc work).

5. phunkey_monkeh

phunkey_monkeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the links.

Im just downloading the manual.
    Before i comit to buying a HTPC, will the quality be better using a Standard dvd player with components and PS ?

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    HTPC will potentially give you better images but it's not something to be taken lightly I believe. To be honest I'd be surprised if a HTPC was that much better then the Pioneer 575 (which is a great player) on the ET1, and you'll have the 575 up and running in no time hence allowing you to get on with the real business which is enjoying DVDs!...PJ :)

7. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,640
    Ive just recently bought one and have it showing on a Da-Lite model B 70 inch screen and it looks amazing for a cheapo pj, i dont have the zoom on and picture is great, although it's very bright in my living room and as the ET1 isn't exactly bright I have to wait until mid evening to watch anything on it.

BTW anybody have any good tips of getting ripples out of a pull down screen? I have a small one on right side and a larger one on left side which is very minor but bugs the hell out of me!!!!!

8. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't go for a HTPC for better image quality (HTPC picture improvements are normally found in better scaling and the ET1 doesn't need scaling). One HTPC benefit is in access to avi's/mpegs/divx/dvd's stored on hard disk (although many dvd's will now play avi's and divx etc. burned to cd).

Another option might be a DVD player for normal use and something like a pinacle showcenter for accessing material on your PC - http://www.dabs.com/uk/shopbybrand/pinnacle/ProductView.htm?quicklinx=3NLF&mc=6

If your main concern is DVD's buy a dedicated dvd player and have it set up in 5 mins as opposed to 5 days for a HTPC.

9. Lucas

Lucas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I concur with Maff et1, I cannot see the cost justification in forking out a few hundred pounds for an HTPC just to watch DVDs. Just go and buy a decent DVD player (WITH progressive component output) if the only thing you want to do is watch a few DVDs per month.

A lot of people go the HTPC way in the quest for better scaling (PAL DVD signal to 1280x720 native res of some projectors) and the use of FFDShow filters to alter/improve the picture. Their justification is that when setup properly, an HTPC can give better pic quality than a top end DVD player for the same or less amount of money. Make no mistake though, the fiddling is more than 5 days :) unless someone who's done it before sets it up for you.

Don't get the wrong idea, I have an HTPC!
    But it is more than a fancy DVD player.
    It has 3 tuners for recording analog TV and a feed from a SKY Digibox and a unified EPG.
    I have 780Gb Disk Space on which I store my DVD collection, movies/series recorded, 500 CD collection and Family pictures. I estimate that I will be spending about 100 to 150 quid every year for more disk space.

It took me many weeks of fiddling around to get the top picture quality both for DVD's and interlaced TV shows/movies.

In the end I retired my DVD, CD players, 2x VHS recorders, the record/casette decks and I will never buy any more of the these. My setup now comprises of a good AV Receiver, Speakers, the HTPC Server and HTPC clients and TVs/projector.

That was my aim from the start.

10. phunkey_monkeh

phunkey_monkeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input.

Its not just dvd's. I do have a rather big DVD collection. But im not doing it just for better quality. I also have a huge divx collection.

Anyway, i have started purchasing components for the HTPC.
    Nothing special, but i have a bought an Athlon XP3000, 1gb ram and a micro atx motherboard.
    Just need to source a case, hard drive and a dvd writer now.

I just want it networked to my main pc so that instead of burning off divx movies/tv programs i can just stream them over the network and watch them through the projector.

I estimate that my very basic htpc will cost me about £250. Which to me is acceptable.