1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEWBIE : Help - I can't connect speakers to my cyrus 8vs amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by mji1976, Jun 3, 2005.

1. mji1976

mji1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please Help.

I accept that i am probably being a muppet for asking this question, but i have never owned a seperates system before.

I have bought (over the last 6 weeks) a cyrus 8vs (secondhand), a CD8, and quad 11Ls, with cyrus interconnect and atacama nexus stands. Went to my local sevenoaks today to get speaker cable and after a long chat during which i explained my setup they recommended chord chorus4 cable with QED Airloc plugs in a 4/2 configuration which i bought. (I went in with the intention of buying chord carnival biwire).

I went home all excited about listening to a ?decent seperates system for the first time in my life, and i can't work out how to get the speaker cables to fit into the amp. They seem to have a round socket with a plastic pin in ther middle.

I'm sure the answer is obvious but i would appreciate any help? :lease:

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    normally just push the plug into the hole but sometimes htere is a cap covering it.

3. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Just prise out the plastic pin with a small screwdriver and your plugs should fit fine. Don't worry, it catches lots of people out.

Happy listening :).

4. mji1976

mji1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone mentioned to me that maybe i am supposed to have ?BNF connectors and not banana plugs? I tried pulling on the black plastic bit with a small pair of pliers, but they seem to be stuck very tight?

5. mji1976

mji1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone mentioned to me that maybe i am supposed to have ?BNF connectors and not banana plugs? I tried pulling on the black plastic bit with a small pair of pliers, but they seem to be stuck very tight?

The socket is a circle of plastic (red and black) and in the middle is quite a long plastic bit, that sits flush with the rim of the plastic circle?

6. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Yes, that sounds like the bit you have to get out. Have you a small flat screwdriver that you can get under the edge of the black plastic bit and lever it out? They can sometimes need a bit of force to shift.

7. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    STOP STOP EVERYBODY, YOU ARE CONFUSING THIS GUY

This is a very simple problem to solve, in fact I'm surprised there has been 3 posts already and none of them know what they are talking about.

Cyrus amplifiers use BFA connections for their speaker terminals. Sevenoaks (Which One?) have sold you the wrong plugs for the purpose. You need to have BFA plugs (sometimes called z-plugs) fitted to the amp end of your cables.

Do NOT try to lever anything out with a screwdriver, you will damage something. Giver your local dealer a call and explain the situation and they should be able to reterminate the cable for you.

8. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Oh dear :blush:. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I've read numerous reviews of Cyrus kit (we all can dream) and can't ever recall a reference to different speaker connectors. I'll be more careful in jumping to conclusions in future.

Sorry mji1976, I hope I haven't caused you to do any damage?