Newbie help - choosing a setup (Rega IO), Streamer, speakers

raino144

Novice Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for some help in selecting some good matching components, to mainly be used for streaming (will add CD later). It’s been a while since I have had hi-fi kit so am a bit out of touch.

I’m looking to build around the Rega IO amplifier for my home office (4x3m) - first thoughts were to pair it with B&W 607 Anniversary edition and a Yamaha WXC 50 or similar.

Would the above be a good setup? Are there options that I’ve completely missed for similar (ish) money?

WXA 50 + speakers would do the same job, or WXC 50 + active speakers. Unless you have a turntable, you are paying for a phono amp and an additional preamp in the Rega. And you don’t get much power. WXC 50 has optical in if you plan to add a CD player.

Upvote 0
For your budget, I’d go the active route every time.

A pair of these for instance,

And one of these.

For the CD player simply add a transport to the Dynaudios digital input.

Or, alternatively any CD players digital output would do the same job.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Upvote 0
Also, the WXC-50 is a first class dac/preamp/streamer.

So adding it to a pair of these (for instance) will get you a quite special hifi indeed.

(Priced for a single speaker).

Switzerland I belatedly see, so instead;

Again you can add a CD player. Either to the Yamahas digital or analogue input.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks all for your replies, you’ve given me plenty to think about and read up on over the weekend! I hadn’t thought of the active speakers route at all, definitely to look at. Budget creep is possible, main limitation is what I can justify to my wife...

I might add vinyl later so the phono stage wouldn’t be wasted, although my collection is in my parents loft in Manchester.

Will also look up the Pi in the other threads - currently use a 3b as a retro gaming console connected to the TV so could adapt that at low / no cost to begin with.

Upvote 0
Same situation here. Considering a Rega IO for my small room setup as well (also 4x3 meters). Currently looking for a speaker that would be a perfect match for the IO.

I live in an apartment (neighbors!
:mad:
), so basically I'm looking for a speaker that wouldn't overwhelm my small room with too much boomy bass when positioned about 30-40cm from the front wall but would at the same provide just enough of it to make rock music... sound like rock music :)
To be clear, I listen to all kinds of music, but rock is a big chunk of my listening.

Upvote 0
Same situation here. Considering a Rega IO for my small room setup as well (also 4x3 meters). Currently looking for a speaker that would be a perfect match for the IO.

I live in an apartment (neighbors!
:mad:
), so basically I'm looking for a speaker that wouldn't overwhelm my small room with too much boomy bass when positioned about 30-40cm from the front wall but would at the same provide just enough of it to make rock music... sound like rock music :)

Have you a budget in mind?

Upvote 0
I don’t ordinarily make much of the notion of system’synergy’.

Components should play well with any other if they are well built and properly designed.

...However, you might consider these;

Rega make and design everything in-house so it’s not unlikely that the Kytes will be a perfect match for the Io.

Upvote 0
In that case I’d certainly very much consider the Kytes.

Regas latest, and they do make superb speakers.

Upvote 0
I keep getting recommended those.. no brainer for sure)
I'm not seeing any reviews on them for some reason.

They’re a brand new model and only very recently released.

And Rega spend nothing on advertising.

I’m sure there’ll be a couple of reviews around soon.

There are few audio companies with a reputation as rock solid as Regas so there’s likely to be plenty of interest in a brand new design.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom