Newbie HELP-awful sound

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Martimcfly, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Martimcfly

Martimcfly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone

I have a Sony STR-K890 which I am stuck with, cant afford to replace.
    It sounds awful, best description would be one of those cheap 80's music centres. I was wondering if I replaced the Satellite speakers with Bookshelf size passive monitors would the sound improve. I have the Bass up at max and it still sound trebly.
    Any advice/suggestions welcomed.

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,648
    What speakers do you have connected to the system and how is it set up ?

Satellite speakers working on their own would be rubbish , and if thats all you have then yes you need new speakers !

If you have a subwoofer , then is the crossover set correctly ? If it is , is the system setup to use the sub and satellites properly , for example any " pure mode" would only be using left and right satellites , which again , would be rubbish , satellite speakers have no bass response at all !

3. Martimcfly

Martimcfly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The speakers I have are the standard came in the box ones. There are 5 satellite one centre and a sub.
    The initial setup was connect speakers plug in an auto calibrate mic and press auto calibrate button. The Sub has its own level which you adjust manually.

4. nenito2k

nenito2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    dude sorry to sound rude...but there is no such thing as i can't afford in this age & time. AVR's are so cheap that you could get anything...and HD 2012/2013 model can be had for less than 150£ !

get a new HD AVR period !

5. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Before you do anything else, I'd go with andy1249's suggestion. Check to ensure bass is coming from your sub (should be pretty obvious either way).

6. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    How is that helpful? In this age and time a lot of people can barely afford to put food on the table let alone buy new audio kit, if the op says he cannot afford to buy new equipment, telling them to buy new kit does not help him in any way at all.

7. Martimcfly

Martimcfly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All speakers are working and I have set the sub at full volume but I still get poor sound quality from the satellite speakers. I have redone the calibration test and tried various eq settings with no major change in sound quality.
    The satellite speakers are Sony SS-MSP890's.

8. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Fair enough. Guess you can't do any more than that. Unfortunately, I haven't any experience of your Sony AVR or the speakers so I don't know how good (or bad) each item is. The fact you've failed to get decent audio out of this setup, despite trying, does suggest that either the AVR or the speakers (or maybe both) are no longer good enough for you (he says, stating the obvious).

Since speakers usually affect the overall sound quality more than the electronics, I think the blame lies mainly with the speakers - bit of a guess though. Can you beg/steal/borrow a pair of decent bookshelf passives just to try out your system in stereo? If not and you're determined to buy a pair, you can pick up quite capable new speakers for around £50/pair such as these oft recommended examples:

Wharfedale DIAMOND 9.0 Black | Speakers Per Pair | Richer Sounds

I imagine you'd want to eventually replace the centre and rear satellites too so it won't be particularly cheap - could try the pre-owned market and maybe pick up an entire 5.1 speaker set.