Newbie HD-DVD and Blu-Ray Questions/Answers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jez

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if these have all been covered so apologies if they have.

No really in a rush as i don't have a hd tv as i bought a new Sony widesceen last year which i love,but wanted some info if anyone can help?

1. HD-DVD or Blu-Ray is this another VHS/Betamax scenario? If so what's the point of bying Blue-Ray if it won't win and vice versa?

2. Will there be a player that does both?

3. Will normal dvd's become obsolete, i don't really want to re-buy all 360 of my dvds?

4. Will hd/blue-ray etc play on a normal widescreen tv, just obviously without the picture quality ( idea could save up for player then tv later on )

Many thanks :smashin:

1. yes this is another war between formats, people with a passion for movies want the best, thats why we buy them.
2. hard to say, but i cant see it happening anytime soon if at all, as both formats dont want a dual player.
3. dvds will be around for a long time, got a good few years left in them.
4. yes they will both play on a normal widescreen, and depending on size of your screen you will notices an improvement in pq.

1. HD-DVD or Blu-Ray is this another VHS/Betamax scenario? If so what's the point of bying Blue-Ray if it won't win and vice versa?

If you aren't in a rush, then don't rush :)
I suppose it's similar in a way to the VCR wars - at this point nobody really knnows what will happen.

2. Will there be a player that does both?

Perhaps - it would be the ideal solution, however personally I don't expect to see one in the short to medium term (ie within the next 18months or so - it get's tougher to call the further into the future you go - nobody has any idea of what will be happening in five years time)

3. Will normal dvd's become obsolete, i don't really want to re-buy all 360 of my dvds?

No

4. Will hd/blue-ray etc play on a normal widescreen tv, just obviously without the picture quality ( idea could save up for player then tv later on )

Yes (and depending on the TV, the quality might be better than you think :) )

Thanks Mike, much appreciated.

Yes (and depending on the TV, the quality might be better than you think :) )

And with modest sound equipment dont forget the sound improvements to be had! DD Plus I find a vast improvement over DD or DTS. However I dont find HD DD such a great improvement! Odd?

Rgds

CH

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom