1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Hard Drive Query

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ics, Mar 12, 2005.

1. ics

ics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I am wondering if it is possible to upgrade the Hard Drive in My Panasonic E100 to a bigger one? I was thinking of puting a 400 gig into it. Is the os on rom or HD or can it be done

Also are there any recorders on the market that have 2 tuners for dual recording of progs at same time

Any help appreciated

John

2. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,701
    I asked this same question at multiregionmagic (if it can be done they can do it).
    They said no it cannot be done for all sorts of technical reasons.
    I had the E100 and loved it (sold it cheap to my brother and regret it)
    I went for the E500 for the big harddrive. If you trade up bear in mind that panny changed the navigation system on models after the E100. In my opinion for the worst. If you make playlists for e.g. it is a nightmare on the new nav system - you have to create chapters rather than just set start/end times as on your system which loses all the flexibility. Also, they removed the bitrate info bar! (and this is their flagship model!).
    Their are other features but IMO some of the changes were for changes sake and detrimental
    However despite all this I still think Pannys are all in all the best machines.

3. jinkzzz

jinkzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to do this too. I have replaced my defunct 80gb drive with a Maxtor DiamondMax 9 120gb which is a model as close as I could get to the original except 40gb bigger. The new hdd is recognised fine and works, but only gives about 1 hour extra recordsing time in XP mode. I am sure that I have seen the e100 sold in the US or other parts of the world with hard drives up to 160gb - so surely it must be possible, but a firmwwae upgrade may be needed. Anyone else know anything about this?

4. tals

tals

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jinkzzz - did you just place the drive in - or if not what format (FAT12, 16 etc) did you use?

Tals

5. jinkzzz

jinkzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you mean in the E100? - Yes I just put a new 120gb drive in the E100 because the 80gb had failed, and the system did the rest during it's self-check startup routine. However, it only sees a little more than 80gb - 1 hour extra in XP mode.

I think the E100 formats a new drive in a non-FAT or NTFS way during the self-check, because I recorded some programs on it and put it in a Windows XP PC, but couldn't find any data on it. The PC saw the drive in the bios but showed no partitions in Dos or Windows.

When I put the drive back in the E100 everything was still there and working - just don't have the 40gb extra capacity available. Still looking for a way to upgrade the E100 past 80gb.

On a side note, I believe that the Sky+ box uses some kind of Linux disc format, but I nothing about Linux. Can I read Linux hard discs in a PC with some utility? What would I have do or am I talking cr*p!