1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Greeting!

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by WRG, Jun 3, 2005.

1. WRG

WRG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello to all from across the pond. I just purchased my first Arcam products...AVR300 and the DV29 and was looking for a site related to these products specifically.

...the only small question I have...and I've yet to read all the threads..is the comparisons between the DV27a and the DV29..being that these items were just purchased new has the DV29 had any firmware changes to help in the de-interlacing...

Forgive my ignorance because I'm just reading stuff, and haven't even pulled the items out of their boxes yet. From what I have gathered by reading what I could, I'll probably be stunned just to see the PQ for the first time with this player. I currently have a Panasonic S-97 hdmi into my Sharp Aquos and that gets a very refined PQ. This player will be used on my Sony XBR CRT thru component, hooked up of course thru the AVR300. I currently have a Yamaha DSP A-1 with B&W's...sounds pretty good though...I can't wait to hear the AVR300, I read some great reviews. I thought about the upcoming AVP700 & P1000 but, it's really too much for my small room setup. The AVR seemed like the ticket :)

Anyways, guess I'll start reading some posts tonight to catch up on things.

2. ruben20

ruben20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    WRG, welcome to the (exclusive) club.. What a nice bunch of equipment, that's a grand entrance.
    You'll probably will be quite shocked, PQ wise. I think the combination arcam/b&w is wonderful. What kind of b&w are hooked up to the avr300?
    Also give the stuff some time to burn in. See and hear the difference over time...

3. tvh3ad

tvh3ad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I've got a very similar setup: a Sony XBR34960 display, a 27A via component, and an AVR300 for sound (no video signal through the AVR300, though). It's pretty darn great -- I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Only one comment: why are you going component from the 29? Seems like if you've got nothing else hooked up to the CRT you would want to try out the HDMI.

4. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    Hi mate,

Welcome to the forums. You'll find a lot of detailed posts on DV27A / 29 comparisons but from what I've gathered the DV27A only beats the DV29 for component progressive scan output and this is due to a different de-interlacer. I think the DV29 is meant to be as good/better in every other way. I'm sure someone will reply soon with full details if you don't get round to reading the old threads.

Enjoy your new set up!

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    The DV29 is a belter according to all who own one. You won't have a single regret.

You can now lord it over all your buddies with kit snobbery.:)

6. WRG

WRG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gents! Really a warm welcome...I certainly appreciate it :smashin:

To answer the few questions: tvh3ad, I don't have hdmi connection with the Sony, only component. This CRT will be replaced in the near future with whatever tech is at the time SED, LCD, Plasma..and that's when I'll get some use out of the hdmi connection. Though I may put it onto the shelf under the Aquos in the bedroom just to give it a run for it's money :rotfl:

ruben20, I currently have matrix series w/htm in the front and B&W wall mounts in the back, and a velodyn hsu. I sold my 805 Nautilus and now in a couple of weeks I've got on order a pair of birdseye maple Paradigm signature S-2's coming to replace the matrix in the front. Either that or another pair of 805's but, I just want a different mix these days. I've heard great things about the Signature S-2's, and they look awsome. I've been with B&W's in some series or another for about 16yrs, and they're a great speaker, but I just want to try something new. And my audio room cannot accomodate anything larger than bookshelf's and a decent sub.

I'm sure I'll enjoy the readin' here, seems like a lot of very useful info to digest, and not to mention the people, again, thanks for the warm welcome :)

7. WRG

WRG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow...just unpacked these units. Excellent build quality. Streamlined comes to mind. You can feel the construction of these units. Sadly, all my previous gear left today for South Carolina. No speakers to hook up so to speak, just my 2 rear in-wall B&W's. :( My Paradigm S-2s won't be here for a week or so. Boy...I'd love to hear these units.....