Newbie gets Sky HD today

oldgits

Engineer arrived this afternoon, took his boots off as he came in (a good start), very helpful, polite and knowledgeable, had me up and running in 80 mins (I am a total new customer to Sky). Obviously having only had freeview before, the new Sky with so much choice is fabulous, but have to say the HD content hasn't as yet given me a wow factor, slightly dissapointing. I have zero understanding of optimum setup and will fiddle and twiddle with various options over the next few days. Watching the England v Greece game as I type (I know it's not in HD), flicking between Sky, Freeview and my trusted old analogue aerial, the latter seems to be the best pq!

I have a Panasonic TX 26LXD60, a Panasonic DMR EZ 25B recorder all connected with scarts and HDMI thingies, if anyone can give me a dummies guide to a reasonable setup I would be obliged. What worries me is the fact I seem to prefer the "Dynamic" setting which most on here seem to hate, it's all horses for courses I guess.

One good bit of news...my HD box runs almost silently......so far!

Tony Hoyle

Novice Member
I wouldn't be so harsh. Not everyone can 'see' HD immediately, and if he was watching an upscaled game then it could easily be worse quality than the analogue picture.

oldgits, The usual test is to watch the BBC HD channel - their test loop is a good reference image (and should come pretty close to jaw dropping when you first see it). Also, I would disconnect any SCART cables just in case you're watching the SD downscale rather than the proper HD version.

Also on a 26" screen you're not going to get anything like the same 'wow' that people with larger screens do anyway (well, not unless you're less than 4 feet from the screen). It should look noticably better though - you'll see it when you've been watching HD for a while and switch back to SD.

oldgits

Tony Hoyle said:
I wouldn't be so harsh. Not everyone can 'see' HD immediately, and if he was watching an upscaled game then it could easily be worse quality than the analogue picture.

oldgits, The usual test is to watch the BBC HD channel - their test loop is a good reference image (and should come pretty close to jaw dropping when you first see it). Also, I would disconnect any SCART cables just in case you're watching the SD downscale rather than the proper HD version.

Also on a 26" screen you're not going to get anything like the same 'wow' that people with larger screens do anyway (well, not unless you're less than 4 feet from the screen). It should look noticably better though - you'll see it when you've been watching HD for a while and switch back to SD.
Thanks Tony, that was a wee bit more helpful.

N

Noggin the Nog

I too have recently had it installed, and whilst initially it didn't wow me, over the last couple of days, I've begun to notice how good it is. I think the problem is that HD shows lots and lots of detail, detail which you couldn't see before, so you didn't bother looking for it. But now it's there, it takes a few veiwings to train your eyes to see the difference.

I think it's great, especially the footy, the players almost stand out from the screen.

gerryman62

Tony Hoyle said:

if you cant see hd immediately your not gettting hd but your getting something called sky hd:D

oldgits

Thanks for the advice so far guys.
One further question...to keep Mrs Oldgits happy is there a way I can configure my setup so that when I turn on the tv it automatically starts up in Sky and not Freeview as it currently does?

Ewoody

oldgits said:
Thanks for the advice so far guys.
One further question...to keep Mrs Oldgits happy is there a way I can configure my setup so that when I turn on the tv it automatically starts up in Sky and not Freeview as it currently does?
on your tv remote, press the source button & highlight HDMI or DVI press ok to store, it should then automatically switch to Sky in future & bypass freeview.

oldgits

Thanks Ewoody but I don't seem to have that facility on my remote, (Panasonic TX-26LX60), any other suggestions anyone?

B

btocher

oldgits said:
is there a way I can configure my setup so that when I turn on the tv it automatically starts up in Sky and not Freeview as it currently does?
The engineer that fitted my HD up to a Sony Bravia said it couldn't be done. The only way I've found to get it to work is by using a programmable remote, using a macro.

sam_smith

Standard Member
Initially I wasn't overly enamoured with the quality of Sky HD but Planet Earth on BBC HD last night changed my opinions dramatically. The detail is simply astounding. I also thought the cricket today looked very impressive, particularly when the cameras pan around the various stands of the ground. Shame about England's performance!

Woodywizz

Distinguished Member
oldgits said:
Thanks Ewoody but I don't seem to have that facility on my remote, (Panasonic TX-26LX60), any other suggestions anyone?
This worked on my Panasonic TX32LXD500, so it may work on yours:

* Press "Menu" on the TV remote;
* Then select "Setup Menu";
* Then change the 'Power on preference' from "TV" to "AV" - toggle between the two with the arrow button.

That's it.

C

chasrc2

woodywizz said:
This worked on my Panasonic TX32LXD500, so it may work on yours:

* Press "Menu" on the TV remote;
* Then select "Setup Menu";
* Then change the 'Power on preference' from "TV" to "AV" - toggle between the two with the arrow button.

That's it.
Did this work with the SkyHD box through HDMI?
This does not work on my TX32LXD60 through HDMI1:( I don't think Sky have enabled the automatic switching on the HDMI connection. I swapped the SkyHD with an HDMI DVD on HDMI1 and that did switch ok when it was turned on so either I have a faulty Sky box or, as I say, it is not enabled.

Tony Hoyle

Novice Member
HDMI switching is fairly new and a lot of TVs don't support it.. the Sky box does send it though (I get switching on my TV quite nicely).

Woodywizz

Distinguished Member
chasrc2 said:
Did this work with the SkyHD box through HDMI?
This does not work on my TX32LXD60 through HDMI1:( I don't think Sky have enabled the automatic switching on the HDMI connection. I swapped the SkyHD with an HDMI DVD on HDMI1 and that did switch ok when it was turned on so either I have a faulty Sky box or, as I say, it is not enabled.
Yes it does work with SkyHD box through HDMI - until I changed the power-on preference the panel always started on Freeview, now when I power on the TV it automatically starts on SkyHD.