Newbie Floating Chimney Breast

21Lee

Novice Member
Hello,

I've been a lurker for awhile so thought i'd better share my setup with you all. I've built a floating leather chimney breast and flushed in all the components for a minimal look. Kit wise theres a 50" LG plasma, Sony AV Receiver, LG DVD, Sky HD, PS3, Sony Micro system, cambridge Audio floor standers, centre and sub which is hidden within the chimney breast. Rear speakers are whalfedale NXT flat panel speakers which are hidden behind canvas pictures, again for a minimal look. Heres the pic, hope you like it.

Last edited:

Coenbruvva

Standard Member
Very tasteful job you've done there. I rarely comment on installations here but have to ask you a question about yours. Very intrigued about the ceiling treatment as I had a similar idea for my lounge but could not come up with a viable ( meaning £££ ) solution, a wider angle shot and explanation would be very helpful.

Once again, nice job.

tonycooling

Novice Member
Great job.

Is that a fire under the TV or a cabinet? If its a fire, what make is it and do you have any build photo's please?

21Lee

Novice Member
Very tasteful job you've done there. I rarely comment on installations here but have to ask you a question about yours. Very intrigued about the ceiling treatment as I had a similar idea for my lounge but could not come up with a viable ( meaning £££ ) solution, a wider angle shot and explanation would be very helpful.

Once again, nice job.
Its actually a fire resistant makrolon sheet. I looked at polished plaster but it was very expensive so came up with this idea while in the local builders merchants. Still cost about £300 to do three ceilings.

21Lee

Novice Member
Great job.

Is that a fire under the TV or a cabinet? If its a fire, what make is it and do you have any build photo's please?
Think its an Apex deluxe fire, i got it from fires galore. I do have build pics on my mobile but not pulled them off yet as i've lost the lead:rolleyes:

Coenbruvva

Standard Member
Its actually a fire resistant makrolon sheet. I looked at polished plaster but it was very expensive so came up with this idea while in the local builders merchants. Still cost about £300 to do three ceilings.

Excellent, like that a lot. Home cinema experts will probably wince but I have a very dark lounge that I need to brighten up before I'm allowed to start on AV plans, reflective ceiling was one of the ideas I thought would help boost what little natural light the room gets. Coincidentally I am also contemplating installing a "lighting trough" similar to yours but without downlighters, my thought was to recess leds into the vertical plane and fire across the ceiling.

A quick google of makrolon sheet shows that it comes in 3m x 2m size which may just be perfect for my layout. Would I be right in thinking you can just use "nonails" to adhere to ceiling?

Top job and thanks for the reply.

21Lee

Novice Member
Excellent, like that a lot. Home cinema experts will probably wince but I have a very dark lounge that I need to brighten up before I'm allowed to start on AV plans, reflective ceiling was one of the ideas I thought would help boost what little natural light the room gets. Coincidentally I am also contemplating installing a "lighting trough" similar to yours but without downlighters, my thought was to recess leds into the vertical plane and fire across the ceiling.

A quick google of makrolon sheet shows that it comes in 3m x 2m size which may just be perfect for my layout. Would I be right in thinking you can just use "nonails" to adhere to ceiling?

Top job and thanks for the reply.
Reflective ceilings look even better at night and flood extra light into a room during the day. Mine is fixed with super strong tile adhesive which was probably over kill. I bought opal coloured sheet so it looks gloss white when you look directly up but mirrored from an angle.

BIONIC MAN

Can I ask what's the sound like on the center being above the TV, also what high from the floor is the TV

I'am sorting my TV placement out at the mo and thinking if I place the center below the TV it will be placed to high.

Looking goo tho :smashin:

21Lee

Novice Member
Can I ask what's the sound like on the center being above the TV, also what high from the floor is the TV

I'am sorting my TV placement out at the mo and thinking if I place the center below the TV it will be placed to high.

Looking goo tho :smashin:
The bottom of the TV is 124cm from the floor. The centre works great, lifts the sound upwards so it actually sounds like its coming from the centre of the tv.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom