1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie: DVI vs HDMI

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by monolith, Mar 29, 2005.

1. monolith

monolith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Can somebody tell me which of these 2 connectors (DVI or HDMI) is newer, in terms of technology wise, and which is more future proof out of the two?

The reason I ask is because some LCD displays have DVI (e.g. Philips 32PF9986) or HDMI (e,g, Toshiba 32WL48).

Also, could somebody tell me which some of the Toshiba 32WL48 LCDs have different prefixes at the end of model numbers?

Thanks in advance

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    DVI was created for computers and does not have the digital content control that the more recent HDMI comes with, however it can be added to DVI by the manufacturer to make it fully compatable with the requirments of content suppliers.
    So since HDMI is a complete solution you can expect more and more displays/dvd and STB's to feature this connection for digital output instead of DVI.

The DVI input on the 32pf9986 is HDCP compliant so in that regard is not at a disadvantage by not having a HDMI connection it just means you need a DVI-HDMI cable:)

Can't help you with the Tosh question:(

3. mdanforth

mdanforth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Im currently looking at getting a new DVI or HDMI input board for my Panasonic PW7.
    I'll be using a mac mini with its DVI outlet but I would rather get a HDMI input board as its a more complete connection and may use it for something else in the future. For me to do this is it just as simple as using a DVI-HDMI lead? Sorry if its a really daft question.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Ya best bet is to ask the same question in the plasma forum, they will know the actual specs and capabilities of the DVI and HDMI boards that Panasonic UK commerical and business arms offer which may be important if you ever want to use SKY HD or HD-DVD/Blu-ray with your plasma.

5. Widescreenx

Widescreenx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So are you saying that all HDMI links are hdcp compliant rather than DVI I want to buy a Toshiba 46mw48 DLP which has hdmi would this be compliant with what Sky
    will be putting ou?

6. quig

quig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, it will be HDCP compliant.

7. Widescreenx

Widescreenx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you

8. monolith

monolith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for your help

9. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I was under the impression that HDMI could carry a digital audio signal along with the video which would seem like a pretty big benefit if all you want to do is watch the news.

10. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +837
    Lots of misunderstandings here. The difference between HDMI and DVI is not down to HDCP. Both interfaces may or may not use HDCP encryption/copy protection. The difference is in the flexibility and capacity of the services, HDMI being more recent and all-enveloping than DVI. HDMI has a much higher maximum data rate, supports HD digital audio, and isn't restricted to the same small set of supported video formats. DVI has different connectors, but is just a sub-set of HDMI, which is why you can have cables with a DVI connector at one end and an HDMI at the other. If you have an HDMI display you can use it with a DVI or HDMI source, but a DVI display will not necessarily work with an HDMI source. So why does anyone have DVI any more? Doesn't stop you having a good picture, but it's just an interim legacy interface that has served PCs well. HDMI will be the new SCART, only this time everyone will adopt it.

11. oconnpad

oconnpad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Respect welwynnick

I can see the t-shirts now, "HDMI is the new Scart" :rotfl: