newbie dvd question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Solar, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    does the dvd player or the software in it REALY affect the quality of the sound and picture ?

for instance...
    i have a £80 sharpe player from richer sounds - mint picture, plays everything + lots of options for sound (downsampling,bitstream etc) lots more extras
    My mate has a £200 sony player from Forum hifi - not so mint picture, not many options but plays everything, no sound options apart from dts support and picture options are non existant

overall my player is a hell of a lot better than hers, not to mention cheaper but it baffles me how a cheaper model can be better.
    both the dvds were tested on the same tv with same hook up.

2. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think the major difference is in whether the player works the way it should or not. I have a DVD player that is part of the latter category, and would probably have been way better if it weren't for a stupid design error in the firmware. An error made by a company that prioritizes stupid features over proper functioning. So players differ all right.

Also, DVD players is probably the biggest OEM market in audio/video, with tons of players manufactured by other brands than the official. At a glance, most of the IC's used seem to come from a half dozen specialized manufacturers such as ESS and Sigma Designs no matter what brand the player is.

So it's down primarily to how much each manufacturer manages to mess up the finished product, and secondarily to what's actually inside. Even expensive players can go FUBAR in the hands of manufacturers with incompetent management.

3. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    that bit should have been...
    how can it have a better picture quality