1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie DLP help needed

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Brynteg, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Brynteg

Brynteg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone :hiya:

I recently and reluctantly retired my Toshiba 57" in favour of a cheapo Toshiba LCD projector. We wanted a bigger image so opted for a 3 metre screen. However, I was pretty disappointed from the outset with the result. The colours didn't look true and the whole picture on dark scenes looks pretty washed out. Having watched only about half a dozen films on it in the last 12 months I decided to go for either a plasma or a dlp.

After looking at the plasma picture quality (admittedly in Comet and Currys etc.) I decided against that choice. Then I sawthe Sagem 50" which was displaying a demo disc and I was blown away by the quality and decided to opt for dpl.

Looking deeper into this I saw the Toshiba 46 and 52 and because Tosh has been good to me over the years, it seemed like the obvious choice for me.

However, after reading the many threads on here I've now somehow got my doubts about dpl quality after all. Am I gonna suffer from the blurring and artifacts that several owners of the Tosh 46 seems to suffer from?

The tv will only be used as a monitor for dvd's in a dedicated cinema room. There will be no terrestial or Sky tv rigged up to it. Will a dvd like the Samsung HD945 or the Panny S97EBS give me satisfactory results? Or can anyone recommend another player that they are happy with. It must be multi region as I have about 200 R1 discs.

I've read many threads about Gladiator 3.16 but does a few seconds blurring really spoil the whole film? Or does the blurring continue throughout the film?

Thanks in advance for all your help. It's nice to get some sound advice from people that know what they're talking about....unlike the numbskulls that work in the high street stores :laugh:

Sorry about the length of this thread but just need some help in deciding :lease:

2. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    well... im a owner of the optoma RD50 which is a rebadged up to date version of the sagem you saw at comet BUT the optoma is 50hz only it has the best PQ imo but it goes even better when it goes into HDTV mode (which i have yet to seen yet but Razor told me that the word AMAZING doesnt even describe how good the PQ is)

im not sure about the tosh sets as i havent read anything about them but there are a lot of tosh user's who bought it and they seem very happy about it, another one you should think about is perhaps the new Sagem 45" version or was it 46"? but havea good research and know its bad and good points when you buy it :)

and yes i love my S97 but i need some better dvd's as i can clearly see some MB in some dvd's :(

3. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If u have a dedicated cinema room u should go the HTPC route cost u about £800
    £1000 unless u build it yourself
    U can get fantastic quality with the right graphics card theres a samsung 50" model that uses the HD2+ chip for around £3500 & it looks stunning ( the picture quality was lousy in Currys but u can't go by that i've heard good things about it.)
    I have a Optoma RD50 i can recomend fantastic picture with a PC fed into the DVI input.It does have a problem playing back R1 DVDs, with most DVD players it displays a judder that makes it almost unwatchable R2 DVDs are fine
    My PC gets rid of the judder completly if u go for a RD50 HTPC combo make sure the
    motherboard chipset & graphics card are ok with R1 judder, should be getting some feedback about what works hopefully.
    Audiovision are advertising the Tosh, Optoma & Sagem HD-D45 which unlike the 50" Sagem has the HD2+ chip & is HDCP complient (HDCP important if u want to watch Hi Def tv when Sky start broadcasting in 2006)
    Sumat else to think about a HTPC will let u watch Hi Def movies now.
    I should qualify that they are releasing some DVDs i have seen Terminater 2 Hi Def for £11.99 that play on PCs with standard DVD players.There are genuine hi def players that use a blue laser that cram in a lot more data on the DVD these won't play on existing DVD players they will probably start apearing in standalone DVd players & on the PC prob sometime this year.
    If i had a dedicated Cinema i would make the HTPC a full tower maybe water cooled u can make them near silent i would'nt worry about the noise myself
    but u could build one for around £500 that would include a top quality graphics card

4. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Have to agree that HTPC is the way forward - but word of caution - Hi Def dvd of T2 WILL NOT PLAY (without a lot of messing about) over here in Europe.

It has DRM software on the disc that prevents it being played in pc's NOT based in USA.

dAVE, oLDHAM.

5. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
  6. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: