Newbie deciding between Sony Str-DB790 or Cambridge Audio Azur 540R

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Stroganoff, Dec 26, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Stroganoff

Stroganoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, just deciding on my first system to mach my Pioneer 565-DVD. I have about £600 to spend on an Amp and a pair of floorstandings. I did a research and some listening tests however, I am not able to choose between theese 2. I would like some opinions on the sound, features, and reliability.
    Additionally, I'm thinking about a pair of Wharfedale diamong 8.4's as a start for my budget system, what do you think??

2. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I have the 540R for a basic bedroom set-up and I am very pleased with it but the 540R v2 is better if you can stretch the extra £70. CA amps are quite 'musical' as well so often better than similarly priced stereo receivers for stereo.

3. fizl

fizl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    I recently bought the 540R V2 and some mordaunt shorts (definately not floor standers for the size of my room!). I personally think the sound separation for films is very good (but then I was previously on an all in one system), and for music I like the sound alot! It doesn't have any autocalibration, but then I let my ears do the work in its place. It has plenty enough inputs to cover everything I have plugging in to it (including a pc to stream music through on analogue stereo).

Only had it for a week, and yes I'm probably biased, but I like it :)

Shaz