Newbie... Dali Spektor 6 vs Oberon 1 vs Oberon 3 for fronts

WandererOfDis

Standard Member
Hi all. My first post here because I'm fairly new to the game and feel overwhelmed. First off, my living room is fairly small, I mostly watch movies and play games and own a subwoofer.

I was able to get a good deal on two Dali Spektor 6 speakers which are on their way now. They can still be returned and I'm thinking of doing so in favour of either the Oberon 1 or 3, to be used as fronts.

Because I don't have a particularly large room the speakers would be close to the wall. Dali advises as least 20cm clearance and that would fit, but only just. Considering the ease of placement of bookshelves versus floorstanding, as well as quality tier, should I go for the Oberons instead? If so, which ones would you recommend? The 1 is far better for my wallet and as mentioned I do have a sub.

Additional info: I'm planning, whichever way I'm going with this, to expand to 5.1 with and Oberon Vokal and two Oberon 1 speakers as rears.

Help in this matter would be much appreciated. With these speakers on their way I feel a bit overwhelmed. Thanks.

leRoyal88

Standard Member
im actually in the same boat as you are... very very new to the game and want to get the exact same setup over 2 years spread. Are the oberon 3's combined with the center speaker Vokal good for movie watching aswell ? is a sub really needed or can one do without for the time being ? Thanks to all of you. Roy

josefK666

im actually in the same boat as you are... very very new to the game and want to get the exact same setup over 2 years spread. Are the oberon 3's combined with the center speaker Vokal good for movie watching aswell ? is a sub really needed or can one do without for the time being ? Thanks to all of you. Roy
You don't give details of your budget or room but if you're seeing this as a long term project then I would giver serious thought to the Oberon 5 floorstanders. Bit more outlay to start with but they are a small footprint and sound great (I auditioned them myself and you should give them a listen also).

If you plan on getting the bookshelf speakers then the 3's will give you deeper, more controlled bass. However your music, and especially your movie experience will benefit from a separate subwoofer in which case the 3's don't have that much of an advantage over the Oberon 1's any longer. Don't be tempted to buy the 'all-in-one' subwoofer often suggested in package deals with this range - you can do much better buying separately.

And the Vokal is a perfectly decent centre speaker. If you're building up slowly you should find that you can create a 'phantom centre' just using the Left and Right speakers that might suffice to start off with. Then it's up to you which upgrade to go for next.

leRoyal88

Standard Member
Thanks for you elaborate explanation first of all. My budget right now is about 1500 euros. I already spent 700 on the denon 2700H. I want to build it up slowly so no rush. So what you're saying is if i would add a subwoofer in the end anyway, I should go for the oberon 1s ? thats new to me, thanks for that. I think the oberon 5s is too much for me right now. Thanks again !

WandererOfDis

Standard Member
For what it's worth, I've decided on 4x Oberon 1 and 1x Oberon Vokal. I want same fronts and rears because it's likely better for gaming and I do a lot of that.

I'm not decided on the subwoofer yet. I kind of want an SVS PB-1000 but it's being replaced by the Pro. It's still (just barely) available where I live. 560 euros vs 899 for the Pro. I don't know why the regular version is being replaced when so many people love it and the Pro is in a different price range anyway. 899 is way over budget, and 560 isn't comfortable either but I'm wondering if I should pull the trigger while I still can.

EDIT: I don't have them yet and probably won't for a little while, so unfortunately I can't help you with an actual opinion on them. From everything I've read I would definitely recommend a subwoofer for movies though. Perhaps not with the 5's but it sounds like you're not going with those anyway.

leRoyal88

Standard Member
i will stay away from giving you advise, im really new to this and subwoofers is a world on its own i think. How do you like the oberon 1s as fronts ?

josefK666

Thanks for you elaborate explanation first of all. My budget right now is about 1500 euros. I already spent 700 on the denon 2700H. I want to build it up slowly so no rush. So what you're saying is if i would add a subwoofer in the end anyway, I should go for the oberon 1s ? thats new to me, thanks for that. I think the oberon 5s is too much for me right now. Thanks again !
The main advantage of the Oberon 3's over the 1's is better bass extension. That's great but the extra bass extension is still not good enough really for movies so you'd still need a subwoofer to get the most enjoyment. And if you're going to do that then you may as well save your money and just go with the Oberon 1's. Some reviews even state the 1's have better clarity than the 3's though I can't confirm that.

I like the Dali's a lot but if you can post your requirements in a separate post (budget/room size and layout/Listening habits etc) then I'm sure other forum members will chime in with other possibilities too. Monitor Audio are always mentioned in these sorts of conversations, KEF too, Elac (front ported so quite handy for small rooms), Focal, ....... Though if you want to keep things simple I'm sure you'll be happy with the Dali's :)

Last edited:

leRoyal88

Standard Member
Thank you! , i think oberon 1s might be the way to go then. ill go and listen a few times before i buy :)

leRoyal88

Standard Member
in the end i decided to go and audition the oberon 3 / triangle bro3's. Then i got the chance to buy the oberon 5 at a good price and went with that. Also added the vokal center and a jamo sub right away. I am all set now and cant wait to listen to them. thanks for the help guys

Helix Hifi

Oberon 5 are fine speakers. I find them entertaining wide wide soundstage.

Also easy to drive for most 50 watts amplifiers.

Like PM6007, Denon 800NE. Power node.

I haven’t read this read. What amplifier are you going to use?

leRoyal88

Standard Member
I bought the denon x1700H for this ...
yeah cannot wait to enjoy these speakers altough i have to wait untill im done with renovating the house.

Do you have the 5s ?

josefK666

in the end i decided to go and audition the oberon 3 / triangle bro3's. Then i got the chance to buy the oberon 5 at a good price and went with that. Also added the vokal center and a jamo sub right away. I am all set now and cant wait to listen to them. thanks for the help guys
Glad you went with the 5's! As I said before I thought they would be a great option - I enjoyed listening to them a lot. Enjoy!!

Helix Hifi

Nice! I don’t own them at the moment, but had the last year. The combination back then were Marantz PM8006 and the Oberon 5

Sound wise this speakers have huge soundstage. Dynamic with pretty god low end. Dali does not recommend any toe in because the geometry of the cabinet, treble.

Since Dali uses wood fiber cones, this speakers are incredible fast sounding. I don’t think you well be disappointed. Few caveats. Not magnetic grill, not real wood finish.

This speakers have forward fun midrange with airy treble. Denon should suit this speakers.

Dali does not recommend toe in. However nothing is written in stone.

leRoyal88

Standard Member
Nice! I don’t own them at the moment, but had the last year. The combination back then were Marantz PM8006 and the Oberon 5

Sound wise this speakers have huge soundstage. Dynamic with pretty god low end. Dali does not recommend any toe in because the geometry of the cabinet, treble.

Since Dali uses wood fiber cones, this speakers are incredible fast sounding. I don’t think you well be disappointed. Few caveats. Not magnetic grill, not real wood finish.

This speakers have forward fun midrange with airy treble. Denon should suit this speakers.

Dali does not recommend toe in. However nothing is written in stone.

Thank you for your reply !
For me the most important is that they sound great, im just beginning with this hobby and if they dont have real wood finish i can live with that. I now also got the chance to add the oberon 1s with norstone speaker stands for a decent price so i went with this to finish the setup. I still have to wait 2 months since im renovating our new house and i dont want to ruin the setup :p that torture haha.

i really hope the denon sounds, i read a lot of things about it. I come from a samsung soundbar so i guess im going to be very pleased anyways :D

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom