1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie: CRT Projectors & Screens

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cosmic023, Sep 11, 2003.

1. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi All,

Well after many months of thinking about buying a CRT unit, i've decided to go for a 2nd hand Seleco unit as a starter unit.

Apart from tube face condition / tube running hours, what else do i need to keep in mind when looking for such a unit ?? Are they reliable ?? Or would it be easier to get a Barco unit like the Graphics 801s ??

There is one thing that i still keep thinking about, is that do i need a fixed screen for a CRT unit ?? Or could i have a drop down DIY screen ??

Because if the CRT projector was fixed, would this mess up the settings if the screen moved ??

Sorry if these questions are basic, but it's just i've read so much about these units, and they are a bit more fussy than a lcd projectors that i've been used to.

Thanks for your help

Cheers

Cosmic023

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    You should find pretty good support for both Barco and Seleco through this forum. They're both mainline brands with a good rep for reliability.

Roland (B4 Projection Ltd) and Gordon (Convergent AV) can both supply good quality ex-corporate used Barcos and set them up for you. Roland is an ex Barco engineer so can help with servicing. Selecos were designed as home cinema projectors so you'll find most of those as private sales from fellow HC enthusiasts. It shouldn't take too much searching to find a forum member who can set up Seleco projectors ;) . Service support is still provided by Owl the original UK distributor.

Drop down screens are fine.

The Seleco 4XX and 500 series were designed for line doubling and have digital convergence. Early 400's didn't have component inputs though they can be upgraded. Later models added it as standard. The 420 and 450 models also support progressive scan component. All 4xx & 500 series can accept an external line doubler like the iScan which gives a useful boost in sharpness and de-interlacing quality.

400's, 450's & 500's all had a Seleco line doubler built-in. The 420 model shipped with no line doubler, instead it was used with the iScan which gave a better result for about the same cost.

The 3XX series is the manual convergence product. They were designed to handle non line doubled signals only.

Roland & Gordon can fill in the fine detail with the 801s.

Good luck.

3. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi Chris,

Cheers for the reply, i'm really set on getting a Seleco unit. Is their any URL's i can look at for more details / manuals of the Seleco units ?? (Old or New) and details of setup distances between PJ & Screen.

I'd like to get a Barco 801s, but due to the size of the beast, my ceiling would need major reconstruction to hold such a unit. And my finances won't stretch to getting a 2nd Barco, unless they go really cheap.

The Seleco units look easier to set up for a first time user ??

I've got lots of details on the Barco units, but have found very little on the older Seleco units, but have found some info on the new Seleco units.

Many thanks for your help

Cheers

Cosmic023

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Which model are you thinking of getting?

5. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi Chris,

Still not sure, i've been looking at a few units on ebay and in the classifieds here on the av forums. I've seen a SVT150 and SVT350 on ebay.

Budget is really a problem, but i could stretch up to £750, but rather spend up to £500 on a unit. What else could i look for in this price bracket 2nd hand ?? Is this a fair price, or am i aiming too low ??

It's just that my DIY LCD Projector has finally given up (LCD Failed), and i really like a CRT unit, but can't afford much more than my budget will allow.

The other problem is space, as the unit will have to be reasonably small (Well not as small as a LCD unit, as CRT units are massive !!). Also having to house such a unit in a attic room, space is at a premium (12' x 10' room), so the unit would have to be ceiling mounted.

I hope this info helps ??

Cheers

Cosmic023

6. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    A quick search of the Hardware Classifieds section of this forum brought up a couple of Selecos in your price range.

end of August - a SVP350 with low hours for £600 from Sapperjohn in Warrington

mid August - a SVP350 in Cambs for £750 from AndyFov

Personally I would stick to the 310/320/350 models. Although the SVT150s were pretty bullet proof they've been around for a long time. Most were sold to pubs and installed by (cough cough) less skilled technicians ;) . The chances are you'd end up with an ex-pub 150 with tired tubes when a couple of hundred quid more would get you a good 350 lovingly cared for by a HC enthusiast.

Ceiling or floor mounted makes no difference.

Regards

7. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi Chris,

Cheers for the info, i'll look into getting more info on the models you stated in your last post. You don't know of any sites where i could get more info / manuals on these projectors ??

I totally agree with you on the pub / poor instalation thing, so it might be better keeping an eye out on the classifieds here for a suitable unit. At least it should have been cared for, unlike a pub /club unit !!

After browsing around, there's less info on the Seleco's than, say a Sony or Barco models.

Many thanks for your help, and i'll keep an eye out for a suitable unit soon.........

Cheers 4 now

Cosmic023

PS: Quick update, after looking around i think i'm set on a SVT 350 unit. These look ideal, and there is more info about, still looking for a brochure / manual for more info on this unit.

8. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Sim2 is the manufacturer of Seleco. www.Sim2.it/ Check out the downloads or you could register on the site and ask for a pdf of the 350 manual. I think you'd be better off talking to some owners though. Do a search on Seleco and find out which forum members own the 310/320/350 models.

Not suprising really, they've both been in the CRT game much longer and with a bigger commercial product range. More models = more users = more info. But this forum is a good resource for learning about product. Try the SEARCH function (litte red button top right of the page) and do a bit of research for yourself. You'll find most topics covered if you're prepared to dig a little. :)

Good hunting.

9. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hello again Chris,

I've done a browse of the AV forums, and found a few posts of info.

I've checked out the sim2 website, didn't realise you could register with them, so i'll check that out later and try to get a pdf file of the 350 manual.

But i did d/l a pdf manual for the HB420, and this unit has the same focusing & convergence as the 350, so i'll read this to get used on how to set it up. Maybe even ask you if possible at a later date to fine tune the setup ??

I'll send you a PM, soon as i have one, so i'll keep my fingers crossed, and keep an eye out for a 350 unit for sale on these forums.

Many thanks for all your help, and i'll be in touch once i've picked one up.

Cheers

Cosmic023

10. sapperjohn

sapperjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Cosmic023

Just to let you know the SVP 350 is still available. Happy to consider an offer.

I havn't tried too hard to sell as I was considering installing in another room but if it was to go to a good home.......

Chris helped me out a couple of years back on some convergance/fine tuning advice. A star man.

cheers

Sapperjohn