1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie connection dillemma.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by renardi, Jan 31, 2003.

1. renardi

renardi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I would like to get my first home cinema system with lcd projector, since I don't really know how all is set up I would like to get your advice about the components I selected.

I would like to start off with these components:

Panasonic PT-AE100 Beamer/Projector (1) (new)
    Panasonic SA-HE100 A/V Reciever (2) (new)
    Panasonic DVD-RV62EG-S (new)
    Daewoo Q251 VCR (3) (my old one)
    My PC(4)

(1) The beamer will be 8m (26ft) away from the other components.
    (2) The reciever has the possiblility to connect a monitor with Video and S-Video, so I guess I have to see the Beamer as the monitor.
    (3) It is a Stereo VHS recorder with 2 SCART connections and able to play 16:9.
    I would like to use the VCR to be able to watch normal television and to tape TV-programs.
    (4) Is the beamer able to show 1024 x 768 resolution?

This is how I would like to connect them:

DVD ==> (Optical) ==> Reciever ==> (S-Video) ==> Beamer
    VCR ==> (Scart to ???) ==> Reciever ==> (???) ==> Beamer
    PC ==> VGA ==> Beamer

Thanks,

Christophe.

2. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Not sure if I've misunderstood you but first point I'll make about your feed diagram is that the optical from your dvd player is for sound only. That's a fine way of connecting to your amp but It won't allow you to take the picture out of your amp.

I personnaly wouldn't take the picture through the receiver. It is probably the cheapest option. s-video is OK but when projecting onto a 7ft screen I saw flaws in the picture which I wasn't happy with. I found component much much better (got that through a scart to component conversion box).

You could connect vcr and dvdplayer to a scart switching box (Quattro+) Take the feed out of there (scart) and into a "scart - component" switch box then component cables straight into projector. And do the PC as you said.

If you pick a good retailer they should be able to sort you out pretty easily. I recommend Andy at www.av-sales.co.uk he loves connection issues

My Z1 can to 1024 and also 1280. Not sure about the AE100.

3. renardi

renardi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Jus,

So, it would it be good practice to just connect all video signals directly to the projector (It has 4 inputs, Video, S-Video, Component, VGA), and all the audio to the A/V reciever?

Christophe.

4. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    :smashin:

I'd also make sure you use the RGB Scart feeds from your VCR and DVD Player for the best picture (unless they have component out). Your proj won't have a RGB scart connection so you'll have to convert the RGB Scart into component., but that'll mean you get the best picture you can.

Good luck m8

Jus.