1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Connecting Wires Up

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Rohirrim, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Rohirrim

Rohirrim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I have just unpacked my first home cinema system and am stuck already!!
    I have Mordaunt Short Premier Speakers and a Marantz sr5200, I have speaker cable which is encased in plastic and has 2 silver wires running paralell to each other along the cable's entire length. Do I need to strip some plastic covering from the wires to expose them before connecting up and also do I need to separate the 2 wires from each other so 1 goes in the + and the other goes in the -?

I hope that makes sense, please can someone help!!!

Cheers

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    In the absence of colour coding there should be some kind of marking on the cable so that you know which is positive and which is negative. Strip enough away from the ends to enable a bare wire connection with the speaker at one end and the amp at the other making sure that the positive at the speaker end is connected to the positive at the amp end.

As far as possible try and ensure that the cable lengths to the left and right speaker are similar lengths although no great harm will come if they aren't

3. Rohirrim

Rohirrim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for that, It wasn't as hard as I thought, I am pretty much finished now.