1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie confusion!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by monocle, Jun 7, 2003.

1. monocle

monocle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I've done some searching and need further clarification I'm afraid. Can't find enough info on other websites either. I would like to get the LG MZ-42PZ14 from Unbeatable.co.uk because it seems to be the best deal. However, they do say that it is the screen ONLY. So no tuner, no AV board, no speakers. That's fine as long as I can do what I need to do. So here goes.

I have a Sony DAV300 Surround Sound System, Sky digibox, VCR and of course Tivo. I route all these together and come out with one RGB scart lead which currently goes to the back of my TV. So if I am correct, all I need to get this all working with the LG is an RGB to Component (YUV) Converter from www.rgbtosvideo.com. Stick my scart in to there and the RGB cable in to the back of the plasma........right?

I'd be grateful for some help as there is nothing worse than getting all the kit and finding you have loads of compatibility issues. Thanks very much.

2. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    That would end up with a very similare setup to mine. I run a convertor from the sky box to component. Cost around 100 quid instead of the 499 tuner!

3. monocle

monocle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK thanks. Where did you get that converter from btw? The one at rgbtosvideo is £145.

4. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the popular choice is the one u know of.
    (I have one and it works well, does what it says on the box)

but as an alternative i think this company sells
    convertors too

http://www.keene.co.uk/

5. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    At what point in your existing set-up does the output from your DAV-S300 get converted from either composite or s-video to RGB? The DAV-S300 does not output RGB, so unless one of your pieces of equipment is able to upconvert the signal to 'kinda RGB', I suspect that you may be routing a plain composite signal to your display at present. The same is also likely to be the case for your VCR, I am not aware of any VCRs with RGB out. Many people assume that they are viewing an RGB signal on their TV just because they have set the Digibox SCART to RGB. Quite often TV sets still 'jump' to the composite signal, so you have to 'force' them over to the RGB input manually, you can easily see the difference in picture quality.

If this is the case, then an RGB SCART to Component YUV convertor will only work with the Sky Digibox and you'll get no picture from both the DAV-S300 and your VCR ( I don't know if Tivo has RGB, but I'm sure you do ).

Anyone here already got a PZ14 so they can confirm what inputs are available? I've just looked at the PZ17 on the LG website, if the PZ14 is the same, then use the Component inputs (via a convertor) for your Sky Digibox (and Tivo if it's RGB too), the s-video for your DAV-S300 and the composite for your VCR (assuming it's not got s-video out). You'll still need to loop the audio for either your Tivo or VCR through each other, because the DAV-S300 only has two pairs of analogue audio in. I guess you'll be using one pair for the Sky Digibox, leaving just one to share for the Tivo and VCR. If you are currently monitoring the audio out from your TV set into 'Video 1' on the DAV-S300, you'll have to think of another way with the plasma, as it won't be 'hubbing' the audio for you.

It might seem a bit daunting at first, but you're right not to burn your money on a tuner box, you'll get a much better picture with direct connections every time.

Andrew_B

6. monocle

monocle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andrew, Thanks for your input. I must admit I have never considered the difference between RGB scart and standard scart and I don't know which of my pieces of equipment has RGB. So I will find out. You are right, at present I am definitely outputting from the DAV s300 in composite. I think when I get the plasma I will have to do some serious thinking and reading about what cables and connections I need to get the best possible picture. Then again, I'm not all that fussy about super high quality picture. I couldn't even tell you what an 'artifact' is or what one looks like on screen! I keep TIVO on it's medium quality setting and see people on the TIVO UK forum saying how they could never watch on Medium as the quality is so poor. Looks alright to me!! Ah well.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Monocle

You need to think of your system in terms of video 'buses' - each video input type has its own independent input socket.

With any of the Plasma Display models you are considering you could run an all Composite video feed from your kit - though you would definateley not be getting the best out of your system.

So you need to think along the lines of:

01. SKY and TIVO - both can output RGB on SCART and you will need to convert this to Plasma VGA or YUV Component video.

(The RGB SCART out on the SKY box goes to the RGB SCART in on the TIVO and the RGB SCART out on the TIVO goes to the RGB SCART in on the RGB converter)

I think the RGB2YUV Component converter may be a safer bet with the LG and it also means you can stick a PC into the VGA socket at some point.

I always recommend the JS Technology converters as they work brilliantly and Dr John is always on hand to help if you have any worries with his products.

02. SONY DVD system - will output S-Video.

03. VCR - you will need a SCART to RCA Phono cable for Composite video into the plasma and you will have to revert to an RF aerial type connection between the SKY/TIVO boxes as once these are set to output RGB the VCR SCART on the SKY/TIVO kit wont be functioning.

As Andrew points out you have limited options on your Sony for audio so you will have to use Fully Wired SCART cables between the SKY and TIVO box and the RGB converter and a set of Phono to Phono audio cables between the converter and the Sony amp.

Best regards

Joe

PS Please note you need to set your SKY and TIVO boxes to output RGB before you disconnect them from your current TV - otherwise you wont get a picture on the plasma.

8. monocle

monocle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's brilliant Joe, Thanks for that. If you ever need advice on setting up a recording studio then I'm your man!!

9. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Just to say I agree with Joe's recommendations. Also with TiVo, once you set it to RGB pull the plug to do a complete reset. It prefers this to be done.

TiVo will also convert the VCR input to RGB.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.