1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie confused about receiver connection

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Andy1, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Andy1

Andy1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help ?

Please be gentle with me, as this is my first foray into HC and I have come across a connection problem.

I hope to buy a Pioneer VSX 812 receiver, and in preparation I have printed the User Manual from the Pioneer website.

The manual shows that the receiver should be connected to the TV (32” Philips Widescreen about 6 years old) via the “monitor output” socket on the receiver to the “video in” on the TV – I have not got this input on the TV. The only sockets on the TV are the red and white audio sockets.

Similarly, it says that my Sky Digibox should be connected by a digital lead (not available on my Pace box) or via the audio outputs and video output on the digibox. Again, my box has the audio outputs but no video output.

I cannot understand why the video signal needs to pass through the receiver, when the rest of the system (TV to Digibox /VCR/ DVD etc) is fully scarted up. Does the lack of these outputs stop me from having this receiver.

I am thoroughly confused !
    :confused:

2. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You do not have to pass the video feed from any device (TV, Sky etc) through the receiver. Some say that you should not as there is the possibility of signal degradation with another unit to pass through before it gets to the video display.

The option to pass the video signal through is to make the receiver a switching box to enable, say, three video sources to be connected to one input on your TV. There are other possibilities but I'll keep it simple.

In short, I would use direct video connections between video sources and your TV whenever possible to maintain signal purity. I would only use the receiver for audio purposes.

3. Andy1

Andy1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rolo - many thanks for this.

From your reply, I assume I just ignore the video connection and just use the audio input /outputs which I have.

Thanks again

4. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Correct. Ignore them. BTW, don't forget to turn down the tv's volume when using the receiver or else you'll get your surround and tv speakers on at the same time.

Enjoy.