Newbie - cheap speaker system for a small room

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by P5X, Feb 26, 2014.

1. P5X

P5X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the different types of set ups out there. I basically want a budget system for a small (approx 4x3.5m) room which is mainly used for sky TV and movies.

Please see the attached (highly detailed) floor plan. Due to the kids, I don't really want anything on the floor so I was thinking of wall mounting the speakers and putting the sub on the computer desk.

room.png

The TV that I have is a Sony KDL-32S3000.

Budget: <£200 if possible

I've been looking at the following, although I don't know if they're appropriate:

1. Corsair CA-SP211UK SP2500 Gaming 2.1 Speaker System (Can they be connected to the TV?)
    2. Creative Inspire T6300 5.1 Surround Speaker System
    3. Wharfedale MS-100 (Do these need an amp to go with them?)
    4. Yamaha YHT199

Would any of these suit my requirements? If not, can you suggest a couple of alternatives?

Sorry for the dumb questions and thanks in advance for your help.

2. P5X

P5X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    any thoughts anyone?

3. bigtruck

bigtruck
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,136
    I can't help but I'm interested in any responses as I'm in a similar position to yourself, looking for a simple set-up for the family room (18'x11')which is a similar layout to yours. THe t6300 looks interesting & I don't need anything major as it's my first foray into "av" and just to improve the sound quality on the terrible speakers on the tv.

4. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    The SP2500, and T6300 are computer surround speaker sets and are not suitable (or even have the right connections to link to SKY or BluRay players) for your use.

The Wharfedales are just a speaker set so they would need a Av 5.1 Amplifier as well.

Out of the listed products only the Yamaha will do what you want and is one of the cheapest brand name systems around.

5. P5X

P5X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    thanks. Had a further read of the computer speakers and you're right, they'd be no good for me.

Looks like you've made my mind up then...i'll go for the Yamaha and take it from there :)

6. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Agree with you concerning possible connection issues but does a speaker system marketed as a 'computer' or 'multi-media' speaker automatically rule out it's use as a TV speaker (or a music speaker for that matter)? From reviews I've read, the Corsair SP2500 (2.1) appears to be one of the most accurate speakers available at its price point so should be great for TV, music, gaming etc, shouldn't it - assuming connections are suitable?

Corsair SP2500 review | Speakers Reviews | TechRadar
    2.1 Speakers Grouptest Review - Antec Rockus 3D, Corsair SP2500, Microlab FC360 - Conclusion
    Corsair SP2500 review | Expert Reviews
    Review: Corsair SP2500 2.1 speakers - Audio Visual - HEXUS.net - Page 3
    Overclock3D :: Review :: Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speaker System Video Review :: Corsair SP2500 Speaker System Review
    Corsair SP2500 Review | bit-tech.net
    SP2500 Listening Tests and Conclusion | Audioholics
    View topic - Corsair SP2500 Reference 2.1 Speaker System Review | WSGF

7. bigtruck

bigtruck
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,136
  8. P5X

P5X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    thanks but i've already ordered the yamaha set. It probably would have worked out around the same price after taking petrol into account as I don't have a store nearby

9. bigtruck

bigtruck
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,136
    Good stuff; please update with your experiences as I haven't taken the plunge yet and our requirements very similar.
    Hope you enjoy it mate.

10. P5X

P5X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Finally got round to setting this up, hooking up the sky box was fairly simple but the PC was (and still is) a complete nightmare because of my ATI graphics card. Feels like the whole world is having the same problem with getting the PC to recognise the 5.1 setup via the AVR. Anyway, i've managed to get it to output to all the speakers although windows doesn't come up with a 5.1 setup in audio properties.

Other than that, i'm having the weirdest problem - I seem to lose my wifi connection on the PC whenever I connect the HDMI cable from the PC to the AVR...can't seem to find anyone with a similar problem but i've only done a quick google on it yet.

Lastly, could someone advise re connecting the speaker wires to the speakers, the wire that came with it was white & grey but doesn't state which is +ve or -ve. I've just been consistent in connecting all the grey wires to the -ve on the speakers, does it actually matter which way round they go as long as you put them all in the same way in every speaker?