1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie CD Problem....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by tony4563, Jan 25, 2004.

1. tony4563

tony4563

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I've just treated myself to a Cambridge Azur 640C CD player and matching amplifier. It sounds really good but I have noticed that some discs make a fairly loud ticking noise whilst playing. Its mainly CDR'S but it does happen with some original discs. I have my system in a small study and play at relatively low volumes, so it is quite distracting sometimes. I'm new to HiFi so I really don't know if this is normal. Anyone notice this with their drives? Any comments appreciated!

2. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Welcome to the forums tony4563 :)

The best answer would come from an owner of the 640c , however...

I own a NAD 521i CD player, and it is inaudible whilst playing, only putting my ear to the machine can I hear any 'movement'. Having heard the 640c in a 'non-silent' RS demo room, I would hope it would have the same characteristics in a silent room.

Hopefully someone who owns one can comment. If the 'ticking' sound only came from CD-R playback, then I would be less concerned, however if it occurs with original CD's, then there must be an explanation/cause...

Does the ticking occur throughout the entire playback? If you pause a track that the 'ticking' occurs on, does it also 'pause'? Is it a repeating 'tick', i.e does it tick every few seconds?

3. tony4563

tony4563

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    rupbert. Thanks for your reply. To me, the ticking noise is the disc spinning inside the unit. Its not a random thing. It ticks at the same tracks and points every time I put an affected CD in, whether it be an original or CDR. If I pause the track it continues ticking ( I presume because the disc is still spinning) Not happy about it though. I WAS 50/50 between the NAD521 and the Cambridge. The reviews swung it the Cambridge way, but only just. I bought it blind via mail order at Richer Sounds. If i'm still not happy would they let me exchange it for the NAD? Anyone know what Richers policy is?

4. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    14 day exchange...

5. Vection

Vection
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would advise getting it replaced just to be on the safe side. Sounds like a problem with the drive mechanism.