Newbie - Cabling Question

jparton

Just got a Sony RDR-GX120 bundled with my new KDL-40V2000 and have a few newbie questions.

At the moment I'm using the DVD Recorder to pass through my Sky + signal to the TV via Scart on AV2.

Once I get my Sky HD delivered I'll obviously use an HDMI straight from the Sky HD box to the TV on AV1, cutting out the DVD Recorder from the chain.

Will I still be record Sky to DVD by selecting AV1 as the source and capture via AV2? (Told you it was a Newbie question :blush: )

Also a quick question on SmartLink.

I've search the forum and read a couple of threads. What's the consensus of opinion? Is it worth it? It seems you have to sacrifice outputting RGB to the TV and use "video" to get SmartLink working....

Do you get a MUCH better quality output from your DVD player by using RGB?

jparton

So I think I find the answer to the cable question. Seems the Sky HD box comes with a scart so I can hook my DVD Recorder via that.

Still looking for views on SmartLink:

What's the consensus of opinion? Is it worth it? It seems you have to sacrifice outputting RGB to the TV and use "video" to get SmartLink working....

Do you get a MUCH better quality output from your DVD player by using RGB?

foneman

yes, you get a much better output in RGB than composite video... but then it depends on whether *you* can see the difference, and the 'basic quality' of the equipment you are using - you will have to ask a friend to show you, or try a few showrooms..

a lot of these fancy recording features depend on too many things, and if they actually work, they are nice, but if they dont, forget it...

'blueDelta' make a lot of good devices to help you out with recording and scart switching... :) - maplin do most of the range...

jparton

foneman said:
yes, you get a much better output in RGB than composite video... but then it depends on whether *you* can see the difference, and the 'basic quality' of the equipment you are using - you will have to ask a friend to show you, or try a few showrooms..

a lot of these fancy recording features depend on too many things, and if they actually work, they are nice, but if they dont, forget it...

'blueDelta' make a lot of good devices to help you out with recording and scart switching... :)

Thanks. I'll give it a whirl and see if these eyes can tell :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom