1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie - cable set up ?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by meridian808, Jun 14, 2004.

1. meridian808

meridian808
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    sorry in advance if this is a dumb question!

But I'm awaiting a Panny pe30 tv & DMRe85 DVD recorder, & I want to set them up for the best quality sound & pics. I'm ditching my cable box. so I will have the freeview on the tv, & want to run the sound from both the tv & DVD to my pre- amp. Are longish scarts (2m) or composite video & phonos the way to go?

thx

W

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  3. meridian808

meridian808
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes I think so. It hasn't been delivered yet.
    W

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I'd run a decent scart to the TV (plenty of longer lengths available depending on budget) and then stereo interconnects to your pre-amp.

Does your pre-amp have digital inputs?

5. Filbert

Filbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Snapper,

To elaborate on eviljohn2's comment, the best way (and only way if you want DD 5.1 and DTS etc.) to connect your DVD player to an amp for sound, is via a digital connection (either co-ax or optical). I doubt that your pre-amp will have digital inputs, but if it does use a digital cable for the sound from your DVD player to your amp.

Assuming your pre-amp doesn't have a digital input, then you can either :-

a) connect a stereo analogue interconnect between your DVD player and a suitable input on your pre-amp and also one from your TV to your pre-amp,

or b) just a single stereo analogue interconnect from your TV to your pre-amp, that way whatever you are watching on your TV, will have it's audio sent to your pre-amp.

Also, you will need a decent Scart cable from your DVD player to your TV. If you are going to connect your DVD player to your pre-amp via a digital connection, or a stereo analogue interconnect then you can go for an RGB only Scart cable, as the audio duties will be taken care of. If you don't connect your DVD player to your pre-amp directly, then you will need a fully wired Scart cable, as it will need to take audio from your DVD player to the TV, for the TV to send the audio back to the pre-amp via the stereo analogue interconnect that connects your TV to your pre-amp.

Hope that helps!