1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie cable help please.

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by sharger, Dec 29, 2004.

1. sharger

sharger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Hi all

I currently have a Denon DVD 2900, a Denon AVR 3802 amp and Sky +. I have just purchased a Pioneer PDP 435 XDE Plasma. I have rung around a couple of retailers to find out the best way of cabling up my system for the video signal. (Audio already taken care of).

The common concensus was to use the amp for component switching as follows:
    1. Component from dvd to amp.

2. Rgb from Sky + to Rgb - component convertor. Component from convertor to amp.

3. Component out from amp to plasma.

This option using QED signature range was about £700!!!!!!

I have just joined this forum and have read some of the threads about the cables in the powerbuy section. How do these cables stand up against the QED signature range (best price I could find was £174 for 1m component cable). Is there a justification for such a vast price difference.

Whilst talking to some of the retailers they said that the HDMI connection method on the Plasma offers a picture quality far greater than component. This then got me thinking that the new Denon 3910 Dvd has a HDMI output. Couple this with the Denon Avr 3805 and the Denon Link I presume you would have a drastic reduction in cabling and enhanced veiwing pleasure.

So my question is this, should I spend out on the above cabling method or should I buy the new equipment, which offset against the cost of cabling and any possible trade in would be more cost effective and a bit more future proof?

Finally with my new Plasma (being delivered 5th Jan.... counting the minutes!!!!) is the cable that comes with the package to conect the media box to the screen a cable you would replace or is this a quality cable?

Hope this makes sense, thanks in advance.

2. sharger

sharger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Hi Guys

Sorry for being impatient but has anyone got any advise, because I really need to order some cables by the 5th Jan..... Can you imagine how :censored:off I'll be with the new plasma sitting there in its box.... laughing at me....... :lease:

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I'd certainly think twice before spending £700 on cabling. Mark Grant or cables from TV cables seem to stand up well. Certainly be worth saving the money and using it to finance some good music or films to throw at it.
    If you've read most of the threads you'll know how contensious an issue cabling can be. Best advice is buy cheap and see what you think. See if you can 'Loan' the expensive cables. A dealers willingness to loan a cable is a good sign of how good it is.
    Sorry this is only general advice and nothing specific....

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Good advice ! Try some "average" cables first (like Belkin) and if you're not happy, then consider spending more. To be honest, the majority of people cannot tell the difference between a £15 cable and a £75 cable. If you're happy with the budget cables, then you'll have all that cash to spend on DVD's :)