Newbie cable conenctions query

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by brianmcdermott2, Apr 17, 2007.

1. brianmcdermott2

brianmcdermott2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi guys,

Can you answer any of these questions for me

1. Does different brand HDMI cables really mke a difference as I thought HDMI had minimum specs, and as a digital connection, less prone to noise etc.

2. Can you confirm that, like regular SCART, RGB SCART requires no spearate sound cable.

3. From laptop with S-video and 15-pin (this VGA?) monitor connections, can you advise how best to connect to tv with 15-pin, HDMI, component and SCART.

4. Also, please tell me how to hook up sound from laptop, it only seems to have a headphone outputsocket for sound.

cheers

2. Kendalbeefcake

Kendalbeefcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi I'll try and help..

1) This is something that is massively debateable, especially with digital cables which I on the face of it so closely related to something like USB; no-one spends 100's on USB cables..Anyway the best I can offer is that the better your system is, the more difference better cables will make. My circumstancial evidence suggests that if your system is reasonably mid-range (ie under £500/component) then there isn't much point going higher than the standard QED/purple cables @ £35 or so. Beyond that, I don't think that the ROI is going to pay dividends, you're probably better of investing in the mains filtration.

2) Most RGB SCARTs that I've seen DON'T have sound connections (I'm almost certain this is the case with the QED's)

3) For best conneciton and for the most sympathentic transfer would be VGA-Component. Google it, there are loads..SCART-SVIDEO would probably be cheaper but I've never been impressed by the picture quality..

4) You can easily get a 3.5mm headphone to twin-phono cable from a few pounds to a decent IXOS/QED one for about £30-£40. However, the audio output from most laptops (my dell included) is rubbish; I'd spend the money on a "Cheap" Creative external soundcard which plugs into the USB slot and has a Optical out. This will have a much cleaner output and you can run it straight into the your digital AMP..

Hope that helps!

3. brianmcdermott2

brianmcdermott2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    cheers Kendal.

Laptop is a Dell so maybe keep the downloaded stuff on pc for the moment anyways!!

So for RGB SCART, I need a SCART lead from RBG enabled socket on my decoder to same on my tv, then an optical output (or other) from decoder to tv for sound.

I had thought that the RGB SCART was identical to SCART connection wise, but with better picture, ah well. if only life was as simple as me.

:thumbsup:

4. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,685
    SCART is a method of connection. A SCART socket is able to carry a variety of signals: RGB, Composite, Component (although rarely implemented in equipment), S-Video, L+R sound. A fully wired scart will obviosuly carry everything. Fully wired scarts are as easy to obtain as non-fully wired versions.

Your "decoder" is unlikely to have optical out and your TV equally unlikely to have optical in. If you want to play your decoder sound through your TV then the fully wired Scart will give you stereo sound as well as an RGB picture.

HTH

5. sameerabedi

sameerabedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is it possible to connect from VGA to S-Video or Composite? My laptop as VGA out and ideally I would like to connect it to S-Video on my TV, mainly for stills and presentation, so quality does not have to be pristine.
    Also I can only seem to find Component-VGA cables, not the other way around, would that work to connect laptop to TV?
    Thanks

6. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,685
    No, not directly. Some conversion will need to take place.

Some newer models of TV have vga input. Equally some laptops have s-video out. If you do not have "matching" in-outs thne you'll need extra equipment, not just cables.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,519
    Hello all

brianmcdermott2 - as others have said any fully wired SCART cable (the vast majority on the market) is capable of delivering RGB video + Stereo audio.

SCART cables that are labelled as 'RGB' reduce the number of internal conductors in the cable bundle and use the space saved to increase the diameter of the conductors used to carry the RGB video signal; potentially reducing any signal loss over the SCART cable.

RGB SCART cables come in two forms - RGB Only (no audio) or RGB+Stereo audio (limited availability and higher cost - look out for Supra cables).

Under 5m all HDMI cables ought to perform equally well - often but not always true as manufacturing tolerances are not always adhered to by the lowest cost suppliers.

If your TV is equipped with a PC compatible HD15 (VGA) socket use that to connect the HD15 (VGA) Output from your laptop.

sameerabnedi - good job you said quality does not have to be pristine; converting a 102x768 pixel (or higher) PC image to work with a much lower resolution 'TV' is fine for photos, video clips and presentations (as long as your carefully with the Font size and graphics used - always preview the layout on the TV if you have to use a TV to show to an audience).

Have a look at the relatively low cost adapters by AverMedia - see http://www.averm.co.uk/avermedia/index.asp

Joe