1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie buys a 42WH36

Discussion in 'TVs' started by valmiki, Nov 14, 2003.

1. valmiki

valmiki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Guys,

After much lurking reading up on RPs I've finally done the deal and bought a Toshiba 42WH36. Well what can I say, Wow! My last one was an old Sony 41" 4:3 inherited from my parents when they downsized to a smaller house, and this is a vast improvement, definitely more bangs for your buck.

The Tosh is fabulous apart from no P-in-P and it needs a really clear signal to show off the picture quality. The whole casing looks cool as well (the most important thing right?! it helped convincing the wife to buy one)

However, I do have a couple of questions that I'm sure you all highly-informed people will be able to help me with,

When watching terrestrial TV, with the 'SuperLive' picture selected, there is a black horizontal band about 1.5" wide at the top of the screen, but not at the bottom. Is this normal? trying to adjust via the menu only gives the option for horizontal positioning.

Also, I'm interested in doing a service-level convergence, however I would need detailed and clear instructions to do this. Demon, I read your post for the bigger TV, but I could do with some clearer instructions! No offense intended. I've had a search but I can't find anything really step-by-step for dummies style. I'm adventurous, but not when I could screw up a £1000 TV. Forgive me folks.

well, thats about it for a first post, and already asking for help! thanks guys.

ps. does anybody want an old Sony 41" RP that doesn't work for parts/repair ;-)

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    You don't need to use the 'Super Live' mode.....EVER.

If it's analog terrestrial then good old 4:3 is ideal unless it's in letterbox then use the 'Cinema' mode.

Other than that it will auto switch to 'Wide' mode for 16:9 programmes, assuming you have a digital source.

3. valmiki

valmiki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmmm....isn't the whole point of having a widescreen tv is that you'd actually make use of the widescreen aspect? 4:3 would be ideal normally, in which case I've just wasted a couple of hundred pounds premium of buying a widescreen tv?

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Sigh :rolleyes:

Trust me, from somebody who has owned a WS TV for the pst four years (and a Tosh RP similar to yours in the past two), you have NOT wasted your money.

I take it you DO have Digital TV and or a DVD player?

5. valmiki

valmiki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have both, but I do watch lot of regular TV on it as well.

I'm sure I can do something with VPOS in the service menu to get rid of the black band, I just don't feel informed enough to do it quite yet.

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Just what is so bad about watching 4:3 terrestrial in it's native mode, 4:3 :confused:

Surely you watched it like this before with your old 4:3 TV.

But now you have the best of both worlds...

You have an excellent TV that can produce stunning pictures in 16:9 and 4:3 mode.

You're right, you are not informed enough (I'm trying to do just that!).

What on earth gave you the idea that 'Super Live' mode is the one to use for terrestrial TV? It isn't, it merely blows the screen up to th epoint where the resolution looks AWFUL as well cropping the top and bottom of the picture.

Are the other modes (Wide, 4:3 and Cinema) OK ?
    If so then you don't need to do any messing around in the service menu where you could do more harm than good if you're not careful. :lesson:

Just why do people who've just bought a WS TV think they have wasted their money because some programmes are not in WS :confused:

I have a four seater car, but rarely are all seats occupied, yet I don't feel I have wasted my money!

7. valmiki

valmiki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Kevo,

You are right and I agree with your quite valid points.

However, how many people actually watch terrestrial TV on the 4:3 setting on their WS tv? None that I know of who actually own one, probably because they don't want two grey bars going down the end of each side of the screen.

Don't get me wrong, I know I should in theory be using 4:3, I just didn't realise it looks so bad!

As for your comments on 'Super Live', yes the picture is crap - so just exactly what should it be used for?

Yes the other modes are OK. And no, I'm not going to muddle in the service menu unless I know exactly what I am doing, hence my request for clear/extra instructions, or even somewhere I can download the service manual.

As for people who think that buying a WS has been a waste of money, I think there is something to this which you are overlooking. What do you expect? If people were told that 'hey these TVs are really cool, but when you want to watch terrestrial TV the screen is going to look weird' [which is what you expect them to do, use their WS TV is 4:3 mode] people wouldn't buy them in droves.

My old RP was 4:3. I usd to watch WS DVD on them, OK with a lot of black bar above and below. For the same price of this WS, I could have bought a bigger 4:3 with an equivalent diagonal size of picture when watching DVDs.

And anyway, Kevo, this is all getting way off the subject of why I originally posted, which wasn't to bitch about 4:3 or wasting my money.

I asked if there is a problem with Super Live and a narrow band on top, which may be able to be fixed in the service menu - thats it. I certainly don't want to get dragged into some pointless argument. Yes, I've now got a WS TV. Yes I will learn to live with it. Yes I would like some help with the service menu. No I don't want some futile argument about whether WS is good or bad.

And as for your analogy about 4 seater cars, the reason why you don't feel like you have wasted any money because 4 seaters are usually cheaper than two seaters, unless you want to argue about different models and manufacturers etc.
    Hows about this for an analogy:

I've just bought a new 4x4, but I rarely use it off-road yet I don't feel that I have wasted my money!

Enough rant, I don't feel that I've wasted my money, I was asking for help with a particular issue and I would appreciate if anyone out there could help me with this. Thank you.

8. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    OK, just some quick advice..

On the superlive thing, you will have to do this in the service mode I'm afraid..

The problem I think is that different sources usually need different settings..

I only ever use Superlive for 2.35:1 DVD's as I actually prefer the slight increase in vertical height adn since the non-linear stretching does not have a noticeable effect on the 'film' I just like reducing the black bars that little bit more!!!

As I have SKY+ set to widescreen, and since there is now a massive amount of widescreen processing, I do not tend to use superlive for normal TV, although if I have a choice of watching 4:3 stuff in Superlive, or Native 4:3, then its superlive all the way.. I don't agree that superlive is crap... its subjective.. and certainly seems to enhance the viewing experience.. but each to their own..

As for the Service level convergence.. I think a guide with some pictures is required, but my camera is back at Fuji being repaired.. perhaps someone could help out....

9. valmiki

valmiki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Demon,

I had a feeling that a service level convergence was the way to go. I would LOVE to have a go at service level, just need some clear instructions, if anybody out there is going to go through one soon, I [and many others out there I'm sure] would really appreciate a step-by-step-with-pictures guide to doing one!

As for the other issues regarding Superlive, WS, 4:3, etc. I think it's a personal thing, some people like it one way, some don't. At the end of the day I'm sure there's enough permutations for everyone out there to get the most out of their TV.