1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie buying advice

Discussion in 'TVs' started by jordelver, Mar 15, 2004.

1. jordelver

jordelver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I'm quite new to this home cinema stuff, in fact this is going to be my first widescreen television buy! After reading all of the different threads on this forum, the thought of actually buying a new (expensive!) tv is very daunting.

I'm going to be buying a widescreen tv and a home cinema setup of some sorts. TV first, followed by dvd player, amp and speakers as cash flow allows. I have thought about the following:

- Panasonic TX-32PD30 or Sony 32DX150 (probably the panasonic)
    - Denon AVR-770SD A/V Surround Receiver
    - Denon DVD-770SD DVD Player
    - Denon 770 speakers or Mission FS1

What do you think of this setup?

It seems that to get a good tv is a bit hit or miss. Some people have good experiences first time, others send back their tv's totally. This puts me off of buying online, even though prices are generally a lot less than elsewhere. Am I right in thinking it is going to be easier to send back a tv (if something goes wrong) to proper shop such as John Lewis or main dealer?

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Jord

2. Pugger

Pugger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    jordelver, around 2 months ago I was in the same boat as you. New to all this Home Cinema marlarky. Anyway got loads of great advice off this site and some excellent responses from many of the posters.

As for your setup, I opted for a PD30 and to be honest am 95% happy with the TV. It does have certain issues but to be honest every TV has, and in terms in picture quality I didn't see one better when I tested them. And thats the best bit of asvice I had. Go to a good retailer who will let you screen test the TV's you are interested in. Take a DVD film you like and then you can contrast and compare also if you watch sky ask them to connect it to the TV's. Also check everything is done through the connections you will use RGB,Component etc. Then you will be able to make a judgement with regard to the screen, although being slightly baised I reckon the PD30 is a step up on the Sony.

As for the receiver, are you pressed for space? The Denon is a slimline model which is actually one of the better ones
    (I tested it against a PanasonicXR45 AMP and its much better than the Pani) and it does support 6.1. But for the money there are better Amps around although they will be big. The dvd player is a match for the AMP so if it looks you want, and it PAL, NTSC PS which is a positive if you pick the PD30. Again this is the DVD player I was going to buy and I ended up testing it against the Denon 2200. Its a lot more expensive (around £480 non moded). The 770sd was good but 2200 was noticably better. Considering the specs though the 700SD seems resonably priced.

As for the speakers consider going for the Mission MC3's (if you can) they are a great package and can be had for about £370 if you search around. Good luck with your system whatever you chose

3. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    Hi there Jord,

As a PD30, Denon & Mission owner, please feel free to ask away. Pugger has been in touch with me via Private Message, so if you wanna go that way, no probs.

As for the above set up. I reckon you should go for either a Panny PD30 or a Tosh ZP38 (a bit cheaper than the Panny for obvious reasons). On the DVD front, I'd suggest goin for the Denon 2200 and maybe the Denon AVR 2803. I know that this might bring on some cost restraints, so let me know where you wanna go and I'll do all I can to help with my limited knowledge.

All the best,

LAGAVULIN

4. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Jordelver,

Yes, definately the John Lewis route for peace of mind.

Regarding the TV, don't forget their "free" 5 year guarantee is worth over £200, so even if an internet company is £100 cheaper, you're still quids in!

Good luck.

5. jordelver

jordelver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies guys. Lots of useful info, cheers.

Not really, as long as it fits under the tv ;) To be honest I just liked the look of the Denon 770 kit and it also got a good review in a mag I bought.

I will. These were on my shortlist but the others looked (as in visually) better. I know they can be wall mounted though, which I might like to do.

Yes, it does. I didn't really want to spend that much. I can think about it though as I'm not buying the DVD, AMP and speakers until later. Maybe I can save some extra cash! :)

Yes, I thought I might do this. Problem is, I can't find the PD30 on johnlewis.co.uk? Do they stock this tv?

Also, I was thinking about eventually getting a hi-fi. Is it feasible to upgrade my front two speakers to something more meaty in the future to act as my hi-fi through the surround sound kit? I've never owned any home cinema equipment, so I don't know if I can do away with a seperate hi-fi setup? I think I can?

Thanks again, most helpful :)
    Jord

6. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Jord,

John Lewis definately stock the PD30 in their stores (mine comes Wednesday).

However, I did have to wait a month from ordering so maybe they only put it on their website when they have excess stock.

Regarding your HiFi speaker query, don't forget that these must be magnetically shielded if they are to go alongside the TV (unless you like rainbows, of course!).

7. jordelver

jordelver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh good. I going to take a trip to my local John Lewis this week sometime.

Thanks,
    Jord

8. jordelver

jordelver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point. I've had similar problems with computer speakers next to my monitor before!

Is it feasilble to use my cinema kit as a hi-fi then? I suppose it's the same technology but used in conjunction with the tv?

9. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my only concern with the setup is the amp being alot better than the speakers,
    Check out the Yamaha RXVSL100 as an alternative amp slimline really good spec and after a quick try out it's an impressive bit of kit.
    I'd try one of the Elac Cinema Kits as speakers, or if you have room the mission cinema M30.

10. jordelver

jordelver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to have to read up as I don't really understand how to match amp to speakers at the moment :(

I will. Can't find it on Yamaha's site though, is it an older piece of kit?

I'll take a look at the Elac and Mission. I have thought about the Mission Cinema M30 stuff.

Thanks again.
    Jord

11. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    Hi again Jord,

Yes, this is exactly what my own system has been 'designed' for. To be fair you'll get out of your kit, what you put in.

For instance, my PD30 acts as a monitor ONLY, pure & simple. The amp, a Denon 3803 is awesome both with movies AND music (which is what I wanted - home theatre AND a "hi-fi"). Again, the 2900 is nigh-on perfect with movies AND music (CD, SACD's & DVD-A), and I use Mission speakers for all movie and music audio (floor-standers for front L & R [great for stereo playback of music], and di-pole for rear surrounds [more movie orientated]).

I learnt along time ago that spending bit by bit rather than trying to do everything all at once meant that not only would the system be what I REALLY wanted, but would offer me the best of both worlds, movies & music, all in one. It might mean practising a bit of patience, but you'll reap the rewards in time, believe me.

Hope that helps,

LAGAVULIN

12. jordelver

jordelver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Good, this is what I want. It seems silly to spend cash on two not so good systems, rather than one really good all in one system.

Unfortunately, I think the 2900 and 3803 are going to be a bit out of my price range. Unless I can convince the missus, which is not going to be easy;)

Which mission speakers and sub do you have? I would really like to use floorstanders for the front left and right like you have. But, the location where my tv is going to sit may not have enough space around it.

I think this is the way I am also going to go. I have the money for the tv, but only a bit of cash for the other kit. I would rather save and get what I want.

Also, another question! Thank guys :)
    I know that the room size is a factor, my room is approx 17ft square with the tv situated in one of the corners. Is this kit going to be good enough to fill the room? I suspect it should be fine?

Thanks for your advice, this forum is really helpful :)
    Jord

13. jordelver

jordelver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, I've been to John Lewis and have put my name on the list for a PD30. There is going to be a four week waiting - at least. I'll just have to wait now :)

14. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    Hi there Jord,

I can appreciate the situation. It took me some time to get where I am now, it'd have been great to do it all overnight, but as we know it doesn't work like that.

See my signature under my name on the posts for my kit. But I use the 773e's for my main L & R. AFAIK Mission don't make these anymore, but they are still awesome speakers. They're wonderfully slimline, look very snazzy, sound incredible, and aren't too "BIG" if you know what I mean. Have a look round the web for reviews/pics. Something like this might fit into the space you need (bearing in mind the sound advice to keep 'em far enough away from the TV)...

My sub is a REL, which compliments the speakers VERY well. Packs quite a punch and is only a foot square! Sounds ok with music too.

Perfect philosophy Jord. Take ya time and get it right, never know might pick up a few baragins along the way (just like I did).

Yeah, should be fine (especially if you go for floor-standers).

Best wishes,

LAGAVULIN

15. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Jord,

In case you missed my post in the PD30 sticky, my 36PD has arrived from John Lewis and so far I'm very pleased with it.

BTW, don't underestimate the weight!

I was hoping that the delivery men could be "persuaded" to lift it on to the stand for me.

However, the stand comes flat-packed and it took me an hour to figure out its assembly, so they were long gone.

Fortunately my next door neighbour is an amateur weight-lifter...

16. jordelver

jordelver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did miss your post. I'm glad your pleased with it. Let me know how it goes :)

It does look heavy ;)

Cheers,
    Jord