1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie: Buy HDTV LCD in USA for use in UK ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by MisterPleb99, Feb 23, 2005.

1. MisterPleb99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    hi all,

Forgive my naivety in these matters but I just wanted to find out whether it would be possible to use a HDTV LCD display purchased in the States in the UK.

I've just been relocated to the states for a year and am seriously thinking about buying an LCD over here to take advantage of the HDTV cable channels on offer. What will dictate how much I spend will be whether or not I'll be able to bring it back to the UK in 12 months time.

I realise that HDTV is not available currently in the uk but what's stopping me from just plugging a digital set top box into it to watch standard uk channels ? Especially if I get an LCD without an integrated tuner.

Finally, are any LCD displays that can take either a 110 or 220 volt input ? If not I'd have to use a step up transformer but not sure that would work as it does not change the frequency.

Many, many, thanks
  2. ianh64

Aug 7, 2004
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SW London/Surrey borders
    I would imagine that by the time you have shipped it home, hopefully in one piece, in a years time it may just be simpler and almost as economical to buy one over here. By that time prices will have further dropped and UK technology may have caught up with what you are use to.

It may be fairly common over here to have displays that do 50Hz and 60Hz input, but it may not be the case in America where everybody is expected to do things their way. Ask them what a SCART socket is and when you tell them they will ask you what a component or HDMI socket is!