Newbie. Bluetooth setup

OddsBodkins

Novice Member
Hello. Followed this forum for many years but never joined, so hello all again.

I’ve I recently got my Xbox one (first generation) out of storage as I’ve now got some extra room so I’m setting up a game/comport/entertainment room.

All of my equipment is fairly old but I got a pair of Bose Bluetooth headphones as a present and I’m looking for some advice on the best way of being able to play games using the headphones (to avoid disturbing the rest of the house!)

My set up is as follows:

TV:

Sony KDL-32W756

to which I have the following connected:

HDMI 1 (ARC) - Xbox One (first generation)

HDMI 2 - Mac mini 2012

And from the TV via the optical out to:

Sony MHC-S9 with addition MDS-S9 (basically all inputs and outputs of amp are taken) and a DAB that I have connected to the ”Video” RCA sockets.

I like to be able to listen to music directly (Minidisks,CDs, tapes (and vinyl when I want as I also have the optional record player)) on the S9, but also enjoy the surround sound when watching films, etc on my Mac mini and when playing games. I use the “pass through“ audio option on the TV setup for this.

The only way that I have been able to connect my bluetooth headphones is via the very short included jack cable into the headphone socket of the TV! As this cable is less than 1m long it’s a bit of a joke trying to use them sitting with my face up to the TV with a set of Bluetooth headphones connected via cable…..

So my question is whether anyone can recommend a different setup? Am I looking at a Bluetooth transmitter stuck in headphone socket of the S9? Ikd like to get the best quality of sound in the headphones (primarily from the Xbox).

I hope this isn’t too long for a first post, and if the mods think it should be in a different section, please move.

Hoping for your help!

Misguided

You can buy bluetooth transmitters I'm not sure of the quality but there appear to be quite a few around from a quick google search.

Have you considered buying an extension lead for the headphones? It would be a fairly low cost solution.

OddsBodkins

Novice Member
You can buy bluetooth transmitters I'm not sure of the quality but there appear to be quite a few around from a quick google search.

Have you considered buying an extension lead for the headphones? It would be a fairly low cost solution.
Thanks. I have seen those Bluetooth transmitters but was just wondering what the best type would be for sound into my headphones, and whether the type of connection gives a better sound e.g. 3.5mm headphone jack in the stereo or using an optical input from the Xbox, but I wasn’t sure if the second option is possible with my setup. I’d rather not use an extension lead as that defeats the object of using wireless headphones.

Misguided

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to get good quality sound via a bluetooth transmitter but I don't know much about them. I would google best bluetooth transmitter for headphones and check the reviews.

The optical in theory should give the better sound but I'm not sure if you can get a bluetooth transmitter that does that doesnt mean the sound from the 3.5mm out will be bad.

If you are sorted headphone wise for everything but the xbox you could use the headphone out on the xbox controller, I think you may need a converter for this.

Indiana Jones

I have been using one of these daily for the past 4-5 years and it works a treat.

Amazon product

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom