Newbie: Best HD LCD TV 40" for around £1000?

LLF

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I had this board recommended to me from a mate on another site so I thought I'd ask my question here.

I'm after a 37-42 inch high definition LCD TV. I've had a quick trawl of the site but there are such a bewildering array of options I'm not any closer to choosing a tv. To complicate matters I have to buy the TV from John Lewis as I've got £750 of JL vouchers to spend. I'm willing to add another £250-£350 on top to get a good HD LCD TV.

If anyone here can help me out I'd appreciate it.

Also can anyone give me a few pointers as to how the John Lewis price match works? From what I've gathered on here I couldn't just walk into John Lewis, Brent Cross on Boxing Day and get them to give Curry's/Richer Sounds etc a bell and match their prices?

Ta in advance :thumbsup:

My advice would be to go to JL and eyeball the sets. I've just bought at Toshiba 37LT68 because it caught my eye on here as a recommended set. I also looked at tvs in the sony shop. I preferred the picture on the Toshiba because I watch mostly normal tv and play console games - how a set performed in HD or with a DVD wasn't the basis of my decision. The Tosiba looked excellent on a normal aerial. I'm very very happy with it.

I did actually go over budget to buy it, because with the 5 yr guarantee I had a good set which should meet my needs for the next several years as it as 3 HDMI inputs. It cost me £1233 pricematched with Empire Direct. Just give your JL branch a ring once you've identified the set you want, if you've seen it cheaper elsewhere, and they will start the pricematch process for you.

Ta for the response. I'm after an all rounder as I'll mostly be using it for watching TV (NTL currently but will switch to Sky HD at somepoint next year) and playing games.

The Sharp 42" 1080p model can be had for £1099 on Empire Direct

Do they sell that model in John Lewis? If so do they price match with Empire Direct?

I've had a quick look on JL's website and can't see that model on it....

Do they sell that model in John Lewis? If so do they price match with Empire Direct?

I've had a quick look on JL's website and can't see that model on it....

Its Sharp 42" XD1E

Hi,

I would add Philips 42PF7621. This has good reviews and Pixel processing 2 if you like that sort of thing to increase SD viewing pleasure. Its available for approx 1600 here in Germany so should be within your budget.

Cheers,
Neeraj

I'm looking to buy a LCD for around the same price and this is the one I'm leaning towards. It is 1080P so blu-ray and PS3 will look stunning on it, but also the SD quality is supposed to be top notch.

I just need to see the set in person and also convince myself that 42" isn't too big for my room then this set will be mine :)

Right the Sharp definitely looks good. I just hope they have this one in John Lewis. Does anyone know if JL price match with Empire Direct?

As per JL Cheadle / Trafford Centre -

"I am afraid that we do not stock the Sharp LC37XD1E or the LC42XD1E. The
only one we have is the LC46XD1E (product code 825 31801) at £2595."

Regards,

Chris L.

I'm looking to buy a LCD for around the same price and this is the one I'm leaning towards. It is 1080P so blu-ray and PS3 will look stunning on it, but also the SD quality is supposed to be top notch.

I just need to see the set in person and also convince myself that 42" isn't too big for my room then this set will be mine :)

What size room is it? If you're predominantly going to be using HD sources it should be ok!

As per JL Cheadle / Trafford Centre -

"I am afraid that we do not stock the Sharp LC37XD1E or the LC42XD1E. The
only one we have is the LC46XD1E (product code 825 31801) at £2595."

Regards,

Chris L.

:eek: You can get the 52" version for £500 less on empire!!!

Right the Sharp definitely looks good. I just hope they have this one in John Lewis. Does anyone know if JL price match with Empire Direct?
Should do as ED now have proper stores and as long as they have it in stock at the store in question.

LLF, you've had some suggestions on here at what people are pleased with. I suggest to make your final choice you actually see them in action. It's really important - you can't buy just off the specs. and one man's meat is another woman's poison...go check em out in some stores.

What size room is it? If you're predominantly going to be using HD sources it should be ok!

It's a tiny room, I'll probably be about 8ft from the tv at most. At the moment I have a 28" CRT and it's a pretty good size, but I definately want my new TV to be a bit bigger. I was originally looking at the Toshiba 32WLT66 but I want the TV to last a few years and I think 1080P will come in handy once the PS3 is released (blu-ray movies aswell as games). Also I have no intention of buying Sky HD, so for normal TV viewing I will be stuck with standard def for a while yet, but from what I've heard this TV does a great job with SD.

The TV might also be replacing my 17" CRT PC monitor, but I'll probably just get a 19" monitor for the PC depending on what it feels like using the 42" to browse the internet.

If the 42" wasn't so cheap then I would just buy the 37" version, but as it is only £100 more for the 42" I sort of feel obliged to get that one even if it may be a bit too big. Xbox360/PS3 games and DVD/Blu-Ray movies will be it's main use so if the freeview look a bit blocky at that distance it shouldn't bother me too much.

I think I'm just going to buy it :smashin:

Right I took a trip to John Lewis on Oxford Street earlier today and had a look at the TV's. I was kinda disappointed at the selection they actually offered. Most of the tv's they had appeared to be older models of the ones recommended on here. (eg. Toshiba 37LT66 rather than the 68, only the 46" Sharp D1E etc)

I've also decided that the 42" sets are too big and that 37" is the ideal size for my living room.

Ok the following LCD TV's caught my eye.

Samsung LE37R74BDX - £1295
Sharp 37GD9E - £1295
LG 37LBID - £1195
Panasonic TH32LXD600HD - £1395 (Only 32", do they do a 37"?)

There was also a stunning Panasonic 37" plasma, the TH37PX600. Anyone know anything about these? I'm still not sure of the difference between the two technologies but I've had LCD recommended to me over plasma.

Any of you more knowledgeable fella's help me out deciding which one to go with? Any pros/cons with the sets that I should be aware of.

Thanks again!

Sorry to bump this but I really could do with some help....

Ta

Personally in your situation I'd go with the Samsung 37" R74. You can get it at JL and after Xmas you should get it for your budget. If you check the forums here you'll see that a lot of people with this TV are really happy with it. Its not 1080p, but hey there is almost nothing that is and 720p/1080i looks great.

Personally in your situation I'd go with the Samsung 37" R74. You can get it at JL and after Xmas you should get it for your budget. If you check the forums here you'll see that a lot of people with this TV are really happy with it. Its not 1080p, but hey there is almost nothing that is and 720p/1080i looks great.

Thanks for the response. The Samsung is definitely looking like my best bet. What's it's standard definition like? I don't have an Xbox360 or Sky HD (yet) so I'll be watching normal NTL for a while yet.

So is 1080p is full HD? I've had a quick read on wikipedia but don't fully understand the differences between 1080i & 1080p.

From others comments the Samsung seems to be a very good TV, in fact I have to drive my mate to Costco tomorrow to buy one for him! :)

1080p means 1920x1080 resolution using progressive scan, instead of 1080i which is 1920x1080 interlaced (not as good ;) )

However, there are very few 1080p sources at the moment, PS3, Xbox360 and the Samsung Blu-Ray player. Sky HD is 720p. So although 1080p is "full" HD, you can view HD using an HD ready set like the R74 using 720p & 1080i and these two HD formats will be supported in all future products.

I have SkyHD which I watch at 720p and its stunning.

I was thinking about a Sony 1080p set, but now I'm not sure it isn't a bit of a waste of money, and of course the Mrs prefers the look of the Samsung!

Top man! You've put my mind at ease. Now if I could only make my feckin mind up....!

Well good luck! To be honest I think you'll be chuffed with whatever one you choose, especially once you connect SkyHD to it. :smashin:

I have just placed an order with Curry's for the Samsung LE40R73BD for £899. It does look a stunning set in the shop nd I will post a reply on this forum after its arrival on Friday and when I have set it up. I must admit that it is a bit of a mine-field when trying to choose the best TV on a set budget.

Well the Samsung is set up in my lounge and I've got to say that I am impressed with it. Although there is the odd occasion when I think that the picture could be better, when I fire up the xbox on 720p it was certainly a sight to behold!!
The best thing that I have found that improved the picture quality was to set the unit up using THX optimizer which is embedded within the Incredibles DVD. This has helped to try and drive the best performance from Sky and it was a oticeable improvement.
Hope this helps and the link is for the spec of the 40" version:
http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/television/tftlcd/le26r73bdxxeu.asp?page=Specifications

:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom