• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Newbie: be gentle with me!

Nuck_the_king

Established Member
I have had PS2s for years, and my children and I still enjoy loads of the games on them. However, I've finally binned the CRT TV that we were using to play them on, and replaced it with a HD LCD flat screen. So now it seems sense to go for an upgrade. We're going to keep the PS2, which is plugged into the SCART socket (remember them?!), so backwards compatibility is not an issue.

My questions are: 1) which PS3 should we go for? I'm confident with PC stuff, so would be happy to upgrade HDD if necessary. I'm also not to bothered about the "look" of it: its going to sit in the attic playroom... 2) Is buying second hand (amazon warehouse, CEX, Game store, etc) worth it, or are PS3s more risky than with any electronics?

Thanks very much for any advice.

Nuck

Turb007

Prominent Member
I just bought a 12GB from shopto for £142.00 and a 1TB hard drive with caddy for £60 from amazon

reason for the large drive is PS plus

easy as pie to set up and chuffed to bits with the price

sykotik

Distinguished Member
that's a very good question which to buy ????
you have a choice of the new slimmer slim ,or the slim (which you can still buy new )
there have hard drive's of 12gb > 250gb on the newer slim or
160gb >320gb on the older slim ,and some with 500gb

but the new ps4 hopefully comes out at the end of the year ,which should wipe the floor the ps3's

if your looking for one now then then maybe the newer slim with 12gb hard drive and then upgrade straight away to 500gb or larger (as above) which will have more than enough space for storage

but if you can hang one then maybe the ps4 is most do,
the down side to that will be the price, in the range of £399 to £499
and the game's will be more in price as there will be coming out for both ps3 and ps4 "cheaper been the ps3's

it just depends if you or the kidz are big into gaming or not ,

Nuck_the_king

Established Member
Syk,

Thanks for all those very helpful comments. I take your point about the PS4, but if we've only had a PS2, then we'll probably be blown away by the PS3 anyway!

Looking at prices, to get a SuperSlim 12GB one and then upgrade it to a larger HDD would cost more than getting a pre-owned Slim 320GB, which will I'm sure do for what we want. So, I've made an offer on one in the classifieds, and if I can get it for the £115 I'm offering, then I've got a few quid to get games, second controller, etc.

Does that make sense?

Nuck.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Syk,

Thanks for all those very helpful comments. I take your point about the PS4, but if we've only had a PS2, then we'll probably be blown away by the PS3 anyway!

Looking at prices, to get a SuperSlim 12GB one and then upgrade it to a larger HDD would cost more than getting a pre-owned Slim 320GB, which will I'm sure do for what we want. So, I've made an offer on one in the classifieds, and if I can get it for the £115 I'm offering, then I've got a few quid to get games, second controller, etc.

Does that make sense?
Nuck.

yes,
but bare in mind that's it's second hand even if it's a newish ps3 it could still have problems !! like disc drive fault or at worse the yellow light of death ( not trying to put you off ,iv bought loads of 2nd hand stuff and never had any problems )

do you know how old it is ?

Last edited:

Nuck_the_king

Established Member
Syk,

Apparently it's about 18 months old: and not much used. We're not mad gamers, so it probably won't get caned by us either: I've read about the various faults and errors, but for £115, I think it's worth a punt...

Thanks again for your reply,

Nuck.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Syk,

Apparently it's about 18 months old: and not much used. We're not mad gamers, so it probably won't get caned by us either: I've read about the various faults and errors, but for £115, I think it's worth a punt...

Thanks again for your reply,

Nuck.

:smashin:

AMc

Distinguished Member
When my fat PS3 died I spent a bit of time working out what to replace it with.
2nd hand with warranty from Game/HMV/CEX were so close to the price of a new machine I couldn't see any point.
Second hand from eBay or less risky the classifieds here was a possibility but again I couldn't find one on offer that had a bit of warranty left that was cheap enough for me. I didn't want any games or controllers, just the console.
In the end I went for an excellent bundle when Amazon were clearing stock of the older Slim after then new SuperSlim was launched but I worked hard to get that deal :)

If you need a console, controllers and games a bundle on the forums here is probably the best place to look.
My fat was only lightly used and lasted >3 years. There is always the danger that the YLOD will happen, there was no warning before mine went.
If you go new then a Plus subscription is a very cost effective way to get a regular supply of new games, just make sure you have enough storage space to begin with. Upgrading a 12GB immediately will be easier than trying to do it when you get a "no space" warning during a game install.

Nuck_the_king

Established Member
AMc,

Thanks very much for this: really helpful. I think you're right: with a limited budget, second-hand (and take the risk with no warranty) looks a reasonable way to go.

If I could have bagged on of those deals from Amazon, I would....

Thanks again.

Nuck.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom