1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie - basic questions on low budget speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rickmorley, Apr 10, 2005.

1. rickmorley

rickmorley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking for some cheap and unobtrusive speakers to use with my DVD player (which now acts as the main CD player) and probably my TV. My knowledge on the subject is almost zero.

Current set-up
    Bought quite a nice Sony TV and DVD about a year ago. Also have a satellite box and VCR. Had a 25 year old Marantz separates system. Connected the old amp to the DVD player and the old speakers to the amp.
    Seems to work OK but a couple of problems:
    - One of the old speakers has deteriorated structurally and now distorts the sound.
    - The speakers are quite big and my wife wants any replacement to be much less obtrusive i.e. partly smaller in size and partly in looks.

What I am looking to do
    Not spend much on this. Ideally less then £100. I want something that does the job well (can give a true sound without distortion) but am not a hi-fi buff.

Is this achievable in my budget?
    What type of things should I look out for?
    Is e-bay likely to be a better source than buying new?
    Are we necessarily talking about separate floor standing speakers or can you get a decent sound from speakers that fit onto one of the shelves under the TV, either side of the DVD or satellite box?
    If I wanted the TV sound to come through the speakers what type of wiring configuration would I need?

Many thanks for any help
    Rick

2. terryeden

terryeden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I bought the Acoustic Solutions 833 kit from Argos for ~£80. As a basic surround sound kit, it can't be beaten. Optical and Coax digital in for your DVD player and phono in for your TV/video. Does DTS, DD, Prologic II. Nice small speakers and loud enough for an average living room.

More details at www.acousticsolutions.net/PRODUCTS/IMS/DS833.pdf

Some Argos stores don't stock these any more - but they do stock comparable models. And, being Argos, if the sound isn't right for you they'll happily take them back or exchange them.

The last Sony Centre I went to had some old ex-display systems for around £100. I'm always a bit wary of eBay - but if you can find a dealer you can trust - go with it.

Your other bet is to try computer speakers. I'm going for the Creative Labs TD7700 - a DTS decode and 7.1 speakers. Cost is ~ £160, but the speakers are relativley discrete and my neighbours are close enough not to warrant five trillion mega-watts of thumping bass.

HTH

T

3. rickmorley

rickmorley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the reply Terry.
    That's given me some pointers - the world seems to have moved on a lot in the last 25 years.
    I had not particularly been thinking of surround sound, partly on the obtrusiveness front. Would probably be happy with a pair of book shelf speakers if you can get a reasonable sound out of them.

Cheers
    Rick