1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie - Barco801S questions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by liam_b, Apr 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hello all you CRT junkies;)

I've been lurking here and reading up on the pro and cons of CRT projectors for a while now. I'm hoping to look at a Barco 801s which is very reasonably priced, under £1000 - is there anything special I need to look out for on this model? The seller claims it is in "guaranteed perfect working order, perfect picture and just serviced". That all sounds good to me.

This is going to be my first projector:D I've looked at a few DLPs, the rainbows give me a headache in 2 mins, no good at all. I don't mind the pixelation on LCDs at all, even on the new Panasonic AE100, which is quite bad by some peoples accounts, but the lack of decent black + loss of shadow details + weird colour shifts, all these things are more annoying for me than pixels.

So I'm hoping CRT is gonna give me the things I love about my CRT TV only much much bigger. I got plenty of space for the huge biege/grey box, thats not a problem. I can't get my room totally blacked out in the daylight although I'm not planning on using the projector in daylight - maybe that'll change later.

I picked up an Iscan Pro to run my VCR and DVD through, also got a Dalite 16:9 80" screen for a song, is there anything else that I'm going need? Is the 801s capable enough to give a good 80"x45" picture?

Please feel to lambast me for my shortsightedness etc:clown: Seriously though any useful advice here would be great, it would be nice not to throw away nearly £1000 because I failed to spot some tell-tale sign that EVERYBODY else knows all about.

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,186
    The main thing is to see it running if possible, and find out what screen size the seller was running and for how many thousand hours. Then take a torch and look into the tubes for any signs of burn on the tube faces, or even better take the lenses off(if seller will allow) and check the tube faces.

Have a quick look at the boards and check for excessive dust or nicotine deposits, try and find out where the seller bought it from and what it was used for.

And find out what the run time is by going into the service menu and selecting.(if possible when running).

Thats all i can think off, but I am sure Roland or someone else will point out stuff i have failed to mention.

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Why was it serviced what needed doing?

Very rarely do Barco's need any thing doing unless they go wrong, in fact I'm perplexed as to why anyone would say that.

As THX says check that it's running and the tube condition particularly the Blue tube (they tend to go first).

In the service mode is a warm up screen that will display pure white and usually will stretch the image to the edge of the screen. have a look at that and how far the image extends beyond the image that has been set up if it is more that a couple of inches suspect tube wear. Which is not nessecarily bad you just need to know what you are looking at.

Above the lenses are a whole load of M8 screws and bolts if these look well used it was probably an ex-rental machine.

Weakest link on the 801s was the RGB amplifier a small sub unit that sits just above the tube ends and is attached by two screws. look for flickering colours when warm.

Price is about right for a real good'n.

4. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I finally managed to get a hold of the guy - he'd already sold it, to the first person to view it, seems he was desperate to sell cause he's moving to somewhere smaller. So I'm still looking.

Thank you both for your very helpful replies. At least I have a better idea for things to look out for now.

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Too bad

You have mail though;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.