Newbie - AV recomendations

Unlucky Gumbo

Novice Member
Hi All,

looking to buy an AV soon to start my new home cinema set up, I've not bought speakers yet but was looking to buy the AV first.

I have been recommended a Sony DN1080 but have been looking to see if there is any updated version of this or if a better one is available for a similar price. I am looking to spend around £600 but could push a little more if the right one pops up.

The AV will also need to cater for ATMOS and multiple hdmi inputs

Thanks in advance

Unlucky Gumbo

Novice Member
Thanks for the replies, would you say that the Denon one would be better than the Sony? I really like the sound that the Sony produces as a friend has one but also want to get the best value for money. We will be listening to music through the speakers but mainly will be used for TV, films, game play etc

mushii

Distinguished Member
Sony has its own sound compared to the Denon or Marantz. You would really need to have a listen to all 3 to decide. The Marantz is probably the most musical of all 3.

dion 6

Thanks for the replies, would you say that the Denon one would be better than the Sony? I really like the sound that the Sony produces as a friend has one but also want to get the best value for money. We will be listening to music through the speakers but mainly will be used for TV, films, game play etc
I've got a Sony str-dn1080 and there is a problem with DTSX it plays atmos from my ceiling speakers but to get DTSX you have to change the settings so I would go for a denon

gibbsy

Both the Denon and Marantz models have Audyssey XT on the entry level models, the Denon X2600. The X3600 has a better version of Audyssey in XT32. Audyssey is superior to the room correction found on the Sony.

There is also the problem with playing DTS:X on the Sony if you go down a 5.1.2 route.

Unlucky Gumbo

Novice Member
I would be only looking to go down the 5.1 route i think however from what i am hearing i am swaying away from the Sony route.

Am i right in thinking that the Denon doesnt offer as much wattage per channel against the sony? and the Denon mentioned above, is that an entry level one or are there better for a similar price?

rccarguy

Denon provide plenty of power, they're one of the better ones.

But they still inflate power figures they're not 180w per channel closer around 70w. But that's much better than Yamaha, which are good with two speakers connected but drop considerably with all speakers connected

Unlucky Gumbo

Novice Member

Unlucky Gumbo

Novice Member
Denon provide plenty of power, they're one of the better ones.

But they still inflate power figures they're not 180w per channel closer around 70w. But that's much better than Yamaha, which are good with two speakers connected but drop considerably with all speakers connected
I get that power isnt everything but i also dont want to subsidise it too far and regret not getting a different system.

rccarguy

You need to demo them. You may not like the synergy between them. Also the sub is ok for the price but I'd get something better.

Unlucky Gumbo

Novice Member
thanks Guys - out of stock at both of those.

Have found a place in London that stocks them so have purchased there....next up will be looking to purchase speakers

Jester1066

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom