1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie asks: what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dr_mabuse, Dec 4, 2003.

1. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi
    Could anyone explain the difference between the 2 types of PC3200 RAM that crucial.com/uk comes up with for my mainboard (MSI875P-Neo-FIS2R)?
    It lists both an Unbuffered, Non Parity version and an Unbuffered ECC version of each size (128, 256, 512 etc).

I want to optimise performance by using dual channel - so what's the difference between these 2 types? The MSI site just says use 2.5V Unbuffered so they both qualify.

Also I am right in saying that to correctly run as dual channel I must pair two identical sticks not just one big one?

Sorry if this is kindergarten stuff for you all :blush:

Thanks

dr_m

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Not kindergarten at all, it's more than a little esoteric subject. :)

ECC stands for Error Correction Code, it's a way whereby memory errors can be detected by the system and reported to the user. Few PCs use ECC memory, although you can use it the motherboard won't make use of the ECC capability.

Generally this memory is intended for use on large server systems.

And yes you're right, you need pairs of strips in order to maximise memory performance on a 'dual-channel' system.

3. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    KraGorn
    Thanks - good news, as the non ECC is cheaper! Maybe I'll go for 1gb instead of 512mb...... :)

dr_m

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What operating system are you using? Win98/ME won't use more than 512Mb of memory .. 512 is fine for anything IMHO, whether it's 98 or XP, I really don't know what people with 1Gb systems do with the other 512Mb. :) Certainly an HTPC with more than 512Mb is over-specced, arguably more than 256Mb is too much for playing DVDs.

5. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep 512Mb is fine for most apps and certainly for HCPC duties, if you want to see the benefits of huge amounts of ram try playing around with ultra high resolution images. I have a detailed sattelite image of Baghdad and it's 37Mb in size, when you start zooming in the ram usage goes from 200mb or so to the full 1000Mb capacity (IOW it wants more memory :eek: )

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Okay, image processing of the sort you're describing does indeed need gigabytes of memory .. but I'm not sure how many people with 1Gb machines actually USE it all is my main point ;).

7. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hmmm, the main tasks this new PC will be required to crunch on are DVD rip and Re-encode, as well as MPEG-2 splitting and editing. I also do a lot of Photoshop and Dreamweaver work but not with hi res files.

I would imagine it will do a fair bit of DIVX processing too, as well as everyday surfing/downloading - although I do download a lot :D

Would there be no benefit whatsoever of adding an extra 512mb? Don't get me wrong - if I can save £60 I will, but it's hard to break the "pile in more RAM" methodology of a mac user (work)!!

Also, with regard to HyperThreading (which the CPU/Mobo combination I am going for will enable) do I have to switch anything on in XP to ensure it is active? Or is it Application driven? If so how does one tell which Apps work with it?

One last one: I have a choice of XP and XP Pro to install - any performance differences of note? (This PC is not networked to any others).

Thanks again for your patience

dr_m

8. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    The Hyper-Threading is switched in the BIOS of the mainboard. Save the £60 on RAM and spend it on HDD space you are going to need it (and I don't care how much you have already :) ). As for the different XPs I think in boils down to multi - proc support.

9. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    GrahamC

A wise man speaks... I listen!! :D

I fell foul of the "nah, that'll be enough space" syndrome on the last machine I cobbled together.

This one's gonna have 320GB of 7200rpm HD space to work from and a separate drive for the OS - de-fragmentation here we come! :D

Thanks for replying

dr_m

10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    As Graham said, If you want to use Hyperthreading .. and things like DVD encoding etc can make good use of it I believe .. then you'll need XP Pro, this 'sees' two CPUs and invokes its' SMP (multi-processor) mode which XP Home doesn't have.

Beyond that, without networking, there's no reason IMHO to use Pro given its' more expensive, usually :).

11. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,059
    I've found that since I've gone from 512MB to 1GB RAM it's much better for creating DVDs from mpg files etc. I think the more memory the better for those sorts of tasks.

12. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    KraGorn/JohnG
    Now I'm getting confused...

Are we saying that to make use of the HyperThreading capabilities of the CPU/Mobo combination, then I MUST install XP Pro?

dr_m

13. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yes .. M$ crippled the Home version in this respect by not including multi-processor support, the HT feature of the CPU makes it look and work like a dual-processor system for all intents and purposes. XP Pro detects an HT-enabled CPU and runs in dual-processor mode.

JohnG: I'm surprised you observed more memory helps encoding, doesn't seem logical to me, however one lives and learns .. what sort of time difference are we talking about?

14. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    KraGorn
    Cheers much, I'll put on XP Pro when the time comes.

dr_m