Newbie, Archos questions

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by spirit979, Aug 28, 2005.

1. spirit979

spirit979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, I'm a newbie here and a bit nieve regarding av stuff so please bear with me.

My main interests are track racing with my car, and as such I recently looked into getting a bullet cam for some better "action" shots rather than just the usual in-car shots with my Sony mini dv camera. The problem is that the bullet cam's I have looked at require AV inputs on the camcorder and my Sony does not have them :(

Whilst looking at the option of changing my camcorder to one with av inputs, I came across the Archos range of media players/recorders. I have been looking at he AV4100 and AV7100

My questions are this:

1: Am I right in saying they will accept av in with the supplied adapter, and will I get sound as well as pictures ?
    2: Is it right I can then simply download the recorded footage to my pc via usb ?
    3: Are they good value for money - was thinking it will double up as a source of entertainment for my son when we are on long journeys to track days.

Hope you guys can help, and thanks in advance for any replies.

Pete

2. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,588
    I have the Av420, not sure about the modesl your interested in (I assume they're similar) but mine:

- does record from an AV input,with sound & pictures
    - does accept files via USB, but have to be encoded in the correct format first which is DIVX. They supply the software to do this, or you can get it off the net. It is time consuming depending on teh speed of your PC.
    - its great value for me. I travel on planes & trains frequently as well as staying overnight in hotels. So watching a movie in the hotel room is better than forking out a £10 to watch one via a hotel pay-per-view system. Its also an MP3 player, a means of viewing and sharing photos as well as a portable hard disk!

Get one, you'll love it

3. BGoff

BGoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    That is the most inspired idea i have heard in a long time, i have the same problem. i want a bullet cam for my bike helmet but my camera doesn't support av in. i have the archos Av420 (same as the 4100, but only 20gig). The only problem i can think of at the moment is that the av in is provided through the docking station (it's not an option for me to unplug the cradle from the amp every, let alone each weekend when i go for a ride). i'm gonna buy a bullet cam in the near future to test the option of using one of Archos's optional av cables that may work (otherwise it's a second cradle). Still a big saving on a new video camera that i had originally planed.

For a self confessed newbie you just saved me a fortune.

4. DaveidA

DaveidA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 4100, along with the optional AV in/out adapter. It's much smaller and neater, and should do exactly what you want it to.

5. spirit979

spirit979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Looks like I may be going for the Archos AV740 (40Gb hard drive) - seen for £349 (UK stock brand new). Of course will order the travel adapter too so I can connect a helmet/bullet cam :)