1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie and Denon DHT550...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by screemer, May 22, 2005.

1. screemer

screemer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I am having a few problems with the centre channel on my new system. The overall sound is superb but the centre just seems a little lightweight, and quiet. I turn up the volume loud to say -16 and i can hear it fine but then my room shudders when there is an explosion.I have tried increasing the db and increasing the distance and neither really seem to adjust the volume, just the tone really, it goes far too bright!! Cinema EX adjusts it slighlty but as an overall i feel the centre voice is too low compared to the rest of the track which is loud and superb. Any ideas?? Moving the sub nearer wont work cos its active , will it?

2. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Go into the settings and check that all speakers are set to small and the sub crossover is set to match the lower frequency response of the surround speakers.

Also go though it with an SPL meter to adjust the levels so that they are equal.

3. screemer

screemer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    How do i know the frquency of the surround speakers and where do i get an spl meter from?

4. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    On your speakers, or in the manual for them, it should state the frequency response in Hz for example the humam ear has a response of 20Hz-20KHz. the same applies to speakers.

I checked your speakers and they are 120Hz-90KHz. So the all speakers should be set to SMALL and the crossover set to 120 or 150Hz.

Also on the Sub itself set the crossover to MAX and make sure LF direct is OFF.

Asfor an SPL meter, Radio Shack in the U.S do them or check with your dealer, they may let you borrow one or direct you to someone who sells them.

Or check the web.

When you use one set the weighting to C, and response to Slow.
    Set it to the 70db range then when you run the test tone on the 550 make sure each channel reads out at 75db.