newbie and confused

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by grohan, Dec 27, 2006.

Tags:
  1. grohan

grohan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Have been reading the threads in various forums and generally googling(is that going to be the latest oxford dictionary)arcam and other products for a couple of months. Finally took the plunge today and purchased a 350 and dvd137:D. Since reading info from arcams website and now going over reviews im stumped, The dvd outputs both video and audio over HDMI but the 350 (someone will correct me i'm sure) only switches the video from the HDMI source. If this is the case then i will need to use the digital audio as well as the HDMI from the DVD to the receiver, is this correct.

P.S spent all my money so none left for leads,L.O.L

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    Yes this is correct. You will need the following audio leads:

1x Digital Coaxial cable for Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks

3x Analogue Interconnect Pairs for CD, DVD-Audio & SACD.

You will only need one par of analogue interconnects if you only plan to play CDs and not DVD-Audio or SACD.

3. grohan

grohan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Crustyloafer

Gues i will need to do the same for PS3

4. Canti1982

Canti1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    For the PS3 you will need to use an optical lead (toslink). This will support Dolby digital and DTS but will not output new formats such and Dolby trueHD.

This is only really a worry if your planning to use your ps3 as a Blu-ray player (most of us then). Games will not use Dolby trueHD, so if thats what you mainly want to use it for you wont have to worry.

If you do want to run Dolby trueHD on your ps3 you will need an av amp or processor that decodes that format via HDMI. Hopefully we will see these sometime next year (2007) with HDMI 1.3 on its way. Weather Arcam realease such an amp, only time will tell... :)