1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie AMP question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pcpaz, Jan 3, 2003.

1. pcpaz

pcpaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I complete newbie when it comes to an amp. So here goes.

I have seen an amp I like (Sony STRE375), it has 80 wpc, I believe this is its power rating.

If I purchase a pair of speakers with a power rating of 130 watts, will this amp be adequate?

One more question does S/pdif make a big difference?

2. chino

chino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry about the power ratings, just make sure you listen at sensible volume levels, preferably not past half-way on the volume dial, and listen out for any degradation in the sound quality at high volume levels.

I think Sony quote most of their power ratings through 4 ohms, so it will be pushing less power through 8 ohms, which is the most likely impedence of your speakers.

Does S/pdif make a big difference to what?

Chino

3. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    pcpaz,

You do realise the 375 does not have a Dolby Digital or DTS decoder on board don't you? It is also discontinued now.

For you to be able to enjoy either of these surround sound formats, you would need to have a dvd player that had onboard decoders for these. Nearly all dvd player have 'DTS' & 'DolbyDigital' written on the front of them, but this doesn't mean that they have these on board decoders. Only a dvd player which has at least 6x phono terminals on the back would have such.

As you haven't provided any other background info, I am guessing you hadn't any idea about this and you were wanting to use this amp for surround sound movies, rather than just a stero amp for cd/tape/radio.

If I have come over as patronising, then I appologise. I was simply trying to prevent you making a mistake.

If you need any help, I'll be happy to give to oblige.

4. ricdiggle

ricdiggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What he said!

Also, SPDIF wont make any difference as that amp cannot decode a digital signal.

If you want something to turn what comes out of your DVD player into surround sound then look at another amp.

I'll get slammed for this no doubt, but go to your local branch of Richer Sounds and have a chat with them. They'll sell you some great kit and you'll be amazed at how cheap it is.

Richard.

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Well I'll second that ... at least as far as the Leicester store goes. I know there are some Richer Sounds stores that I wouldn't trust and give awful service.

Victoria

6. ricdiggle

ricdiggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't think of a better place to start an adiction in AV. It really is a cheap way to start.

Your right, the Leicester boys are good lads too.