1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Alert - Where to start?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by DavidPeat, Nov 8, 2004.

1. DavidPeat

DavidPeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Everybody

I've been tempted to go the HCPC route for a while now but don't really have a clue where to start.

My requirements are:

DVD
    DVD playback (obviously), progressive scan through VGA port (for Panny 100E LCD projector), multi-region. Input to telly should be RGB ideally since my telly doesn't handle NTSC signals on the S-Video.

Sound
    Usual suspects - digital out to amp DD/DTS, probably an output to the telly as well for normal viewing.

TV
    Freeview tuner (possibly twin tuner for seperate recording/vewing).

Storage/Jukebox
    Don't want to store movies on HDD but definately want MP3 (or uncompressed CD) storage and jukebox capability.

Software/Remote
    Has to be remote controlled and easy to use interface (rest of family has to use it - not just me :) )
    Features - DVD playback/custom resolutions (for projector)/MP3 jukebox/HDD TV recorder/EPG. Would also be pretty cool of there is any Sky+ like software which will automatically detect which sorts of programs we view and automatically record similar programs on the fly.

Looks
    Wife friendly obviously, but a smart case to replace the current DVD player/freeview box/pro-V combo. Possibly with some sort of LED display so that basic operation is possible without the telly.

So there you go. I seem to know what I want but where do I start and what sort of a budget do you reckon would get this kit sorted out?

Cheers
    David

2. DavidPeat

DavidPeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What sort of processing power is adequate? I've got a m/b and 1.1 GHz Athlon in the loft I think. What's the minimum recommended for DVD playback/MP3/HDD recording TV etc?

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If all you're looking to do is playback DVDs etc. without any video processing than an XP 2000+ proved more than adequate for me.

If however you want to use the PC as a signal processor, eg. scaler, using something like FFDSHOW then you'll probably want something more like a 3GHz P4, which is also recommended for playback of hi-def WMVs.