1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Alert! Simple question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DaveP, Jan 18, 2005.

1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have decided to go down the projector route as a means of upgrading from my Sony 36" CRT.

The theory being I use the TV for crap source material and the PJ for DVD and similar material.

I had decided on a s/h Panasonic AE500 but having missed out on one in the F/S forum I'm now considering an AE700.

As I am new to all this I'm getting confused by HDMI/DVI/HDCP etc!

The AE500 had a DVI input which was HDCP compliant and would be (I assume) suitable for the new HD Sky offering as well as connecting to my PC.

The AE700 no longer has this option but has the HDMI input. Does this mean that I cannot connect DVI equipment to it? If there is an adapter, will it still be compatible with HDCP/Sky?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this!

Dave

2. Ciaran500

Ciaran500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HDMI is a modified DVI port, you can get simple adapters to put DVI through them. It will still be HDCP compliant.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Dave: Ciaran gave you the short, sweet answer :) .. in case you want more info this article will give you more than you could possibly want. :)

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys

Dave