1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Alert!! Capturing Sky Digital to PC - possible?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by dr_mabuse, Mar 31, 2003.

1. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I was thinking about buying a Sony PC cos it features a suite of hardware and software called GigaPocket, which is apparently specifically for capturing, editing and burning via the bundled DVD drive.

Is it possible to capture from Sky Digi (NOT Sky + btw) in this manner? I don't have a VHS so capture from Sky is all I would want it for. Any help given from experts most welcome.

Or could anyone point me to websites / info that explain all this for a newbie, just in case explanations would be too much info to post here.

TIA

dr_mabuse

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Err as long as the harware accepts an RGB or composite video signal i dont see why not

3. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As HD said it's possible as long as your capture device accepts a rgb or composite signal. RGB capture cards are rare and expensive, so with a non sky+ box the best bet would be to get a rgb to svideo converter and use that.

IMHO the best way to cap from sky at the moment would be to forget a PC and use a standalone recorder, like the panasonic e50 or phillips 890 - especially both have rgb input.

A site like www.vcdhelp.com has lots of info on this stuff :)

4. GarethRamsay

GarethRamsay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Many of the TV cards onsale for PCs come with TV recording software which supports scheduling in advance and whatnot. This should suit what you need.

The only drawback is that without a converter from RGB to S-Video you may only get composite. That said, though, they are very cheap.

5. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    HD / Xeonic / Gareth

Thanks for taking the time. :)

To clear up my no doubt embarassing lack of nouse on this: my Sky Digibox is set to output RGB so as to utilise the RGB input on my TV - and AFAIK this digibox (Pace 2nd Gen) is not one of the rare models able to output S-video.

Would I have to compromise on this connection path in RGB? I thought that if the cap card was connected to the coaxial out on sky box, it would only output composite anyway? Or is the input to the cap card made some other way?

Forgive me if I just stated a blindingly obvious question :zonked:

Thanks

dr_m

PS
    At this time I don't want to go to a standalone - I already have a working PC with a burner in it, and I'd just like to add the functionality of recording Sky programmes onto HD then onto DVD. The Sony PC I was considering is apparently equipped with an analogue capture card - this would not achieve what I want?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I think this would work fine but the quality won't be great. As long as you dont mind taht it should be fine.

7. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    with a capture/tvtuner card, you will be able to just run a coax to the card and tune it in like a TV, which will work fine.

Better though is to get a scart to 3x phono cable and use a composite connection. This shouldn't interfere with anything else as you should have a second scart output you can use for this.

8. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    OK, so I can use the VCR scart output from the Sky Digibox via a Scart to 3 Phono which goes into the cap card - is this the best route to go to maintain decent quality?

And guess what I'm leading up to - can anyone recommend a good card for capturing digital in this manner? I was looking at the Hauppauge Win-TV Nexus-S but it's difficult to see from the website pic what connections it has.

Please leave recommendations for different cards to consider - picture quality/resolution is what I'm after.

TIA

dr_m

9. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would stay away from Hauppage, the drivers are a bit dodgy.

The Avermedia cards get good reviews, and you can get them in your local maplins too.