1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie alert - 1st timer with a Sanyo Z2 in the post

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by summat, Dec 17, 2004.

1. summat

summat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay,

Having succumbed to extreme harrassment (ok, bloke at work reckoned PJs were the bee's knees), having read (day after day for the last two weeks), and finally having received this months pay packet I've finally taken the plunge and ordered a Sanyo Z2 (a respectable £840 from Pixmania) as my first introduction to PJs (hey!, I know the lingo, already!)

Quick and easy question for Z2 owners out there...

The Z2 has a DVI input ("source 1", AFAICR from a picture of the back on one of the reviews) and a collection of Composite / Component and S-Video, referred to as "source 2" (or something similar).

Now, I intend to drive the PJ primarily from a progressive scan DVD player (Cambridge Audio DVD55RWi) using the Component signals, however, I'd also like to drive it from the Sky box (Panasonic model - only Scart output). My guess is that as the Composite / Component / S-Video all come under the banner of "source 2" (or whatever) I cannot mix and match these - that is to say, if I want 2 source then one must use *one* of the Composite / Component / S-Video, and the other must use the DVI-I interface of the Z2.

Is this assumption correct?, and what gadgetry will I need to get both Sky and DVD imagery into the PJ?

Sorry if this is basic newbie stuff, but I'm currently running on information overload from many, many days of reviews of PJs and the like (also, don't have the equipment yet, but want to get the interconnects in time for delivery)

Thanks

2. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Hi Summat, welcome to the forums :hiya:

Probably the easiest way to achieve what you want is via your amp, providing it has multiple component inputs. This will achieve the objective of getting a better signal to your pj from Sky (you should use an RGB>YUV converter from your digibox into your amp), and also you will then only have one cable from the amp to the pj - you'll therefore route your DVD player to the amp also, and therefore get a component input to the pj from both sources.

Does that work for you? If you do not have an amp which will do this, let us know, and we'll have another think!

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm not too sure about Source 2 .. I have a vague recollection of my time with a Z2 that I was able to use a couple of the connectors as long as only one device was powered on at the same time, if my memory is correct then that could be a workable solution for you if you settled for using S-Video for the Sky box.

4. summat

summat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The amp does now (quick trip to RicherSounds and another 250 quid out of the wallet)

Don't tell the missus :blush:

Now all I need is the converter :D

5. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,926
    You can have two powered sources into the Z2; for example i have had a component and a S-video signal going in. The PJ auto detects in a defined order when set to "auto detect input", with component taking precedence. But you can manually choose S-video, or component, or flick it back to auto whereby it should go back to the priority.

You only get a problem when you want two component signals (or two of anything, even if only using one at a time) without feeding them through an amp or switchbox, as the Z2 only has one component in.

6. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I believe you can configure the DVI input to accept component in.
    There's definitely an option in the menu.

Not sure what lead you'd require though. When I had my Toshiba, it accepted component over it's VGA connection. So this might be the same. Component - VGA -DVI.