1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie after advise

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by pogo827, Oct 29, 2002.

1. pogo827

pogo827

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im after a digital camcorder with some fair spec the main thing im after is the ability to connect to a usb port on my pc.
    what camcorder do you have if you had the chance again would you buy it again or would you go for another model and why ps please remember im a camcorder newbie so no long words cheers mick:eek:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    USB 1.1 ports can only be used to download still immages to a PC. The USB ports are far too slow to download video/sound at anything other than very low quality (web cam quality = slow jumpy motion etc.)
    USB 2.0 is much faster, but you need a new USB 2.0 card (or on motherboard) and I don't know if this is fast enough.
    The best way to get video onto your PC is a DV/firewire/ieee1394 card. A basic OHCI DV card can be bought for approx. £30 or less than £100 including basic editing software.
    You will also need a large (and separate to boot disk) hard disk to put your video onto. Full quality digital video/sound is something like 1Gb per 20 minutes of footage ( feel free anyone to correct me:) ), and once you start editing more space is needed for the edits.

3. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Full frame DV (firewire) 720x576, 25 fps, Pal is 5 minutes per GB.
    Ouch.

4. pogo827

pogo827

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that mark i did not know that about usb this will help us cheers for ya time mick

5. pogo827

pogo827

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi duncan
    i suppose when u think about it film is a load of stills stuck together so the size factor is most certainly ouch cheers for opening my eyes mick